Saturday, September 27, 2008

It looked for a moment McCain took my advice and declared that he was going back to D.C. to help with the bailout plan. I had suggested that either McCain or Obama should show leadership by trying to work on the plan and inspire confidence. But I did not advise McCain to announce that he is suspending his campaign, skip out on Letterman but did not go to D.C. till the next day. By doing these things he made the trip back to D.C. look like a political ploy, which obviously it was. Once he got back he just sat there and said almost nothing, inspiring no confidence at all.

The debate went as I expected. Obama did better in economics and I think it was a draw on foreign policy. I am bias toward Obama but I thought he looked more presidential and won overall by a small margin. But there was no knockout blows from either side.

Obama is ahead again in the polls because of the economy trumping the supposedly strength of McCain in foreign policies. I am happy to see Obama ahead but to me he is better in foreign policies than McCain but does not have any better ideas for the economy than McCain. I think the economy will eventually turn around with either one as president. But I think with Obama there is a chance to repair America's image abroad and have more allies in the future. McCain still thinks Iraq was a good idea. In fact he believes still that Vietnam was a right war to fight! "Bomb, bomb Iran" may have been a joke but the greater chance of McCain getting us into another unncesssary war is no laughing matter.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:33 AM

    Well, I fell asleep watching the debate. I don't even know why I watch in the first place.

    There's something to say about McCain's "every man" speaking style. It worked well for Bush and I think it works well for him.

    As with all presidential debates, once you cut through the BS, there is no substance at all in what the candidates are saying.

    I'm going to try and watch some of the VP debate. I think Palin's handlers will have her prepared so we won't see the knockout that's predicted.

    Back to your point on McCain leaving for Washington. I actually thought that was a good idea for him to come out and say he was returning to Washington, but it made him look like a fool when he suspended the campaign and did not show up at Letterman.

    I had a similar idea for Gore when one of our ships was a target of a terrorist attack. I think it would have been huge if he had gone back to Washington after that. But he ended up campaigning, almost making it look like he wasn't a part of the administration.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man