Tuesday, January 03, 2012

The Big Ten has completed its bowl season. It was a disaster. Somehow they got 10 teams into bowl games. I even missed the Purdue-Western Mich. game as I didn't think that there could be more than 9 bowl teams from this mediocre conference. My predictions were not as precise as in the past couple of years. I over optimistically predicted that the Big Ten will go 6-3. They actually went 3-6, excluding Purdue, which I would have picked. But on further analysis, I did beat LBOAYM who predicted 5-4 because I was actually 6-3 in my predictions! LBOAYM was 5-4 in his predictions. The 3 games we differed was NW, MSU and Nebraska. I was right on 2 of these. LBOAYM could have tied me if he had not worried about jinxing himself and failed to pick his own MSU team!

It was not just the win-loss records but the overall performances were poor. Illinois barely beat a terrible UCLA team. MSU and Mich. were both lucky to eked out OT wins. Only Wisconsin was respectable in defeat. This does not do anything for the reputation of the Big Ten.

Not to be discouraged, I am going to make a few predictions right now for 2012. New England to win the Super Bowl. Vancouver to win the Stanley Cup. Miami to win the NBA. The Angels to win the World Series. Despite the close race in Iowa tonight, I predict that Mitt Romney will win the Republican nomination. This one was the easiest to call. More predictions for 2012 in the near future, before Dec. 31 certainly!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Well, MSU could have lost that game but I would by lying if I said that I was hoping that Georgia would hit that field goal to win it. I guess you can argue that you won the head to head, but I was less optimistic about the Big Ten than you and since I was closer to 3-6, I should win due to some BCS (or BS) thing!

    I am actually shocked that Michigan did not blow out Va Tech and that Robinson was held in check. What do you make of it? Was Va Tech ready for him or was it because he wasn't in shotgun as much during the game?

    As far as your other predictions, I haven't really paid much attention in anything but the NFL, so I will predict that the Green Bay Packers will win the Super Bowl, though I am rooting for the Saints. If I were to pick a sleeper, I would take the Giants. They have the tools to win it all.


    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think VT was playing the run, whether by Robinson or the rb. They stuffed them on first downs and then M faced 2nd and long all night. I thought that M should do more qb draws where Robinson would go back to throw on 2nd and long and then take off. I think if he is scrambling instead of running like a rb, he would be more effective. But they never tried that. In fact the VT qb did just that with a lot of success. This would also have opened up the passing game. VT was never able to contain the Clemson qb in two losses so I don't know what happened here. But Clemson is getting killed by W. Virginia right now. So I guess you never know in college football. But it has been an exciting bowl season. The Rose and Fiesta bowls were great games.

    I think Green Bay is still the best team. But New Orleans is playing very well and so both of these teams would have a difficult time getting to the Super Bowl. I think New England will win the AFC because Baltimore and Pittsburgh are not as good as usual. I think if both GB and NE are in the Super Bowl, GB would be a slight favor. But they have a much tougher road just to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:43 AM

    To me Green Bay is the clear favorite, especially with home field advantage. That's why I am hesitant to pick them. I actually really like the way the Giants are playing. I think their defense can keep them in games and Manning has all the weapons to score. So if I were a gambling man, I would pick the Giants to win it all.

    You are right on the Patriots. The other teams in the AFC do not measure up, especially with all the injuries. Now if Denver happens to win it all, I may have to start going to church!

    Well, on the political front, Bachman finally stepped aside, but I guess the big surprise is that Perry decided to waste more money by extending his run a little longer. I don't even know why Huntsman is still in the race.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man