Sunday, May 05, 2013

I have just finished reading Jason Collin's article in SI.  I applaud him for coming out but I don't agree with some people who compare him with Jackie Robinson.  When Robinson came to the Majors there was not much movement in the areas of civil rights.  Even some of his teammates were against him.  I think the gay right movement is much further along now and judging by the response Collins have received, I don't think he will face challenges anywhere near what Robinson faced during his time.  That is not to say that he won't be heckled by fans.  Jeremy Lin was heckled even during Ivy League games and those fans are affiliated with some of the greatest institutions of higher education in this country.  But Collins will not be bothered in the locker room or by opponents.  Ironically everyone who has come out against him (and there are very few), has been attacked themselves in the court of public opinion.  Take Chris Broussard of ESPN.  He gave his opinion that as a religious person, he is against gay life style.  He was immediately attacked.  While I don't agree with him, he has the right to what he believes.  If you only have to listen to opinions that is agreeable to you, then you are not living in a democratic society.

Even though Collins is technically an active player in the NBA, he is at or near the end of his career.  In fact, if this article did not come out, the chances of him of getting a contract next year is slim.  So I don't think he will be hurt in terms of staying in the league by coming out.  I don't think you can accuse any team of prejudice for not signing Collins for next season.  It will be more interesting when a player near the peak of his career come out and is a free agent.  Then we will know what teams think.  I bet that most team will act depending more of that player's ability than sexual orientation.

It is interesting that Jason's identical twin Jarron is not gay.  Obviously having identical DNA does not mean same personality.  On the other hand environment do not determine personality either as both Jason and Jarron grew up in the same household, went to the same high school and college.  So who knows what really make up who we are.  Interesting enough of the 4 sets of identical twins I know of in NBA, the skills of 3 sets of twins are about the same.  Tom and Dick Van Arsdale, the Morris twins of Phoenix Suns and Jason and Jarron Collins are all about same in style and skill as each person's twin.  Only Brooke and Robin Lopez are somewhat different with Brooke being a better offensive and overall player whereas Robin is better on defense.  But given that Brooke and Robin have big difference in hairstyle whereas the other 3 sets of twins look exactly the same, I conclude that hairstyle is the ultimate determining factor in skills of NBA twins.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:12 PM

    I have not read the Jason Collins article. I don't have SI, so I don't know if I will unless I run into it somewhere.

    I guess Collins coming out is a big deal, though I was left with asking "Who?". And that is to not take anything away from him. I can't imagine the amount of stress this has caused him and the amount of stress this will cause him in the future.

    Is it on the level of Jackie Robinson? I don't know. I suppose if you are gay, then it would be a huge thing. We may never know the significance of this for a long time. But comparing it to Jackie Robinson, is tough. I always thought of Robinson as a great player. Maybe if Collins was a bigger star, then maybe things would be different.

    To play on stereotypes, maybe the Warriors will pick him up and play up the large gay population!

    By the way, I am pulling for the Warriors, to advance in the playoffs, though I think the Heat will win it all. There isn't a team close to being as good.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. The LA Times had several articles of Jason and Jarron Collins over the years because they played high school ball here. From what I read they are both good guys and good teammates so I would be really surprised that coming out would hurt Collins in the league. On the other hand, I would be surprised if any team signs him next season, particularly the Warriors. He would be the last guy on any bench and if the Warriors have to cut him, it would be a publicity nightmare. I mean the Warriors fans are still mad at them for letting Jeremy Lin go!

    Speaking of Asian players. Yi Jianlian did not get a contract from the NBA after winning MVP honors in China this season. At least 4 players from the U.S. who played in China got contracts from the NBA after the CBA season is over. This include Tracy McGrady. None of these players had impact in the NBA playoff drive but then they are not as good as Yi as demonstrated in the CBA season. So I don't know why the prejudice against him.

    Jeremy Lin had a tough season but he did play well against New York and the Warriors. Houston won their two meetings with the Knicks and went 3-1 against the Warriors. Lin outplayed Steph Curry overall in those 4 games. So it seems that Lin plays well against teams that dumped him. So if Lin just get traded 26 more times then he can seek revenge against all 29 other teams and thus be an all star!

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man