Sunday, June 16, 2013

The approval rating for Obama has gone down a little with all the so called scandals around him.  Frankly I don't see any faults with Obama in terms of Benghazi, the press, and the IRS.  His administration could have handled the aftermath of Benghazi better but I think most Americans would agree that it is a dangerous world for our diplomats and that we can protect them 100%.  The thing with the press again should be handled better but I don't think most Americans are very sympathetic with journalists, especially when it comes to national security.  There is so far nothing to suggest that the IRS situation came from the administration.  And it would be incredibly stupid if Obama actually had anything to do with it.  This may have some legs because everyone hates the IRS.  (Except for me, of course)!  So to me it would be unfair to blame Obama for these problems.

On the other hand, I have trouble with Obama's handling of Syria.  Unlike people like McCain, Obama really did not want to get involved.  But he made the mistake of saying if Syria uses chemical weapons, it would have crossed the line.  So when this occurred, Obama was painted into a corner.  Not only do the hawks call him a coward, internationally people expect him to do something.  He finally announced that he will arm the rebels.  I do not think we should get involved at all and certainly not get involved because we had draw a line in the sand.  I don't think arming the rebels will win the civil war.  Even if it did, sectarian violence will continue as there does not appear to be a reasonable group that will govern the country peacefully.  With all the troops we had in Iraq and Afghanistan, we have not stopped sectarian violence.  We should not get involved unless we have reasonable idea of what the end game will be.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    The problem with Benghazi (and I side with the families of the ones killed and hurt there) is that the response was slow and it sounds like the threats were not taken seriously.

    I guess it depends on who you believe but it seems to me that there was real concern ahead of the attacks. Now, there's also a problem with how the administration tried to spin it. Nothing adds up in that situation.

    So who do you blame? Are the decisions made by the White House or the State Department or somewhere else?

    Benghazi leaves a mark on Hillary and if she decides to run, I am sure her opponents will attack that.

    I see that there was a Republican get together this weekend. And of course, Sarah Palin was there. I am sure she used the stage to help with her new job at Fox. I think the longer the GOP continues to give air time to people like her and to some extent Donald Trump, then they will lose mainstream America.

    Is Rand Paul a formidable candidate? I hope not. Rubio seems to be an up and comer, but do you think the GOP would put him as their front runner? I think Christie is their best chance at winning, because he's been willing to meet in the middle and engage with the left.

    As far as Syria goes, I was in shock when I heard that we had sent aid to the rebels. I agree with you that we shouldn't get involved at least publicly.

    Why not say nothing and secretly arm the rebels if over throwing the current regime is important?

    Personally, I think we should let them handle their own affairs and if needed, back the UN.

    What do you think about the new president in Iran? I didn't even realize that there was an election.

    Finally, did you see the fight between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks? That was like a 80's and 90's reunion of who's who in baseball.

    I didn't realize McGuire was on the Dodgers bench. I almost didn't recognize him since he's so much smaller. The only thing missing was a Dave Rozema kung fu kick!

    Happy belated Father's Day too!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly we should always strive to protect our diplomatic staff better. But during the Bush administration after 9/11 there were 12 attacks on U.S. embassies or consulates world wide. While most of the deaths were local people or security forces, quite a few American staffs died, I believe. Yet I do not believe I heard that Bush is not doing his best to protect Americans. Benghazi is the first attack on U.S. consulate during Obama's administration. So I don't think you can say they ignore warnings. There are probably warnings coming all the time. And if not, what happened in those 12 attacks before Obama took over? So it is a dangerous occupation to be a diplomat and it will always be no matter how diligent we try to protect those who serve.

    A poll came out today that have Obama in lower standing for the NSA surveillance controversy than Bush when he had a similar controversy. I don't get this. How can the guy who originated this be less responsible than someone who just continue the program? It is like people blaming Obama for the deficit when it was Bush who took a surplus from Clinton and turned it into a deficit. What is next, Obama started the Iraq war?

    Regarding the Dodgers fight please read the next blog.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man