Saturday, December 20, 2014

Despite complaints from older Cuban Americans and certain Republican politicians, I think Obama is correct in engaging Cuba.  It reminds me of Nixon opening up China.  I think very few people today think that was a mistake.  China is still communist today and Cuba may be communist in the foreseeable future.  But I think it is better for the U.S. and the world that China is prosperous today.  The same thing if Cuba's economical condition improves and Cubans and Americans have a lot more exchanges.  Let's put it this way, 50 plus years of sanctions and isolation have not worked.  It is time for a new approach.

The good thing about the Sony hacking scandal is that it wakes us up about how vulnerable we are in this age of the internet.  The smallest and weakest country can potentially hurt us with a cyber attack.  I don't think that Iran and North Korea will ever launch a nuclear attack against us, knowing that a retaliation by us will mean the end of them.  But cyber attacks are real.  Why spend money on training physicists, obtaining uranium and finding ways to launch a nuclear bomb when you can train bunch of hackers and cause great damage?

Here are my predictions for Big Ten bowl games:
Illinois, Rutgers, MSU, Minnesota, Iowa winners.  Maryland, Nebraska, OSU, Wisconsin losers.  So that makes 5-4.  LA Times have Big Ten at 2-5.  The odds makers have even less faith.  All nine teams are underdogs!  So I think I am really going out on the limb here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:01 AM

    You forgot that Penn State is playing. Though I think they should not have been bowl eligible this year. This game should be good vs. BC. Though I am taking BC to win it.

    Here are my Big Ten teams that I think will win their bowl game:

    Rutgers
    Minnesota
    Michigan State

    So I've got the Big Ten going 3-7. Not great, but with all the coaching changes, I can't imagine that these teams will do well.

    If these teams had the same staff, I'd like their chances better.

    I hope to be able to visit Cuba at some point. I've always been fascinated with it. Hopefully I'll get the chance.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I missed PSU. I guess I don't think the Big Ten should have 10 teams in bowl games. Any team that lost to M should not be in a bowl game and obviously should not win one. So I pick PSU to lose to make it 5-5.

    So basically you only differ from me in picking Illinois and Iowa to lose. They are not picks of confidence for me and that is why I think I am going out on a limb for the Big Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:58 AM

    To be honest, I don't know how Illinois got to a bowl game. They were the worst team in the Big Ten I had seen all year. I also think that Iowa's QB situation will lose the game for them.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man