Monday, February 04, 2019

I don't see how Virginia governor Ralph Northam can stay in office.  After revelation of a picture from his medical school yearbook surfaced showing a man in black face and another in KKK outfit.  At first he admitted that he was in the picture, although he didn't say which person was him.  Then he said that it wasn't him and that he had not seen that picture before.  This all sounded like Trump when the Access Hollywood tape came out.  First he apologized, then he said it was just locker room talk.  Then later on he questioned whether that was his voice in the tape at all.   To both Northam and Trump, I ask:  If it wasn't you, why did you admit it at first?  So you thought you did something that you didn't do, only to remember later that you didn't do it?  Yeah, right!

I will admit that I did not know that there was this racist thing called black face until maybe in my thirties or forties.  So if at my medical school someone with black face had stand next to me and someone took a picture of us, maybe I would not react.  But then I would not be wearing a KKK outfit.  So there was no reason for Northam to be in this kind of picture.  Certainly I can't think of any legitimate, non-racist reason to post that picture in your yearbook.  His clumsy defense makes things worse. 

If he refuses to resign.  I think the GOP will call for impeachment.  The GOP may not do this so that they can use this issue in 2020 elections.  But I don't think that would be productive for them because then they would be blasted for condoning racism.  Now they can force the democrats to renounce one of their own.  Once the GOP move for impeachment, the Democrats will go along since this is indefensible for them even if no crime had been committed.  So I think Northam cannot ride out the storm.  If doesn't resign, he will be kicked out of office.

The Democrats have to take the high and right road on this.  They cannot be like the GOP base who gives Trump a bye every time he says something racist or sexist.  So what if this is a victory for the conservative site which reported this.  It also exposes the hypocrite they are when they do not call out Trump.

The Evil Empire wins again.  I rooted for the Rams, not just because they are from LA, but also I don't want Brady and the Patriots win again!  But give them credit, even if they might have cheated in the past, their consistency and excellence are just tremendous.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:30 AM

    I was pleasantly surprised that the Super Bowl wasn't an offensive showdown like I predicted. I like a good defensive battle, but to me, the game was ugly to watch. I kept waiting for New England to break things open since they were able to move the ball decently well. But I also expected the Rams to start to tire out the Patriots and have a big second half. Can't deny what Brady and Belichek have done. We are witnessing history even if we don't like it.

    I'm surprised you didn't wait until after the SOTU last night to write your blog. Maybe you will have something to say later. I didn't watch it nor the rebuttal, so I don't have much to comment on.

    As far as Northam is concerned, it looks like he will not resign...yet. He's doing everything to stay in power which makes things interesting. I'm surprised at his strategy regarding the picture, since he first admitted it was him, but now is saying it isn't.

    My first reaction was that he couldn't stay in office, but at the same time, this was over 30 years ago. I don't condone it and in this climate, he should resign. Most Dems have called for his resignation. This is probably the best play for them, especially since the Lt. Governor is an African American, I think. So they actually win by losing. However, I don't think legally he can be kicked out of office, so this might go on for a while. So I predict that he will stay on until the end of his term and not run for re-election.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think NE did a great job of stopping the run and forced Goff to win the game. He is too inexperience. In another two years or so, this would not have worked against him. LA was also hampered by Gurley not being 100%. If he was healthy, it would have taken the pressure off Goff. But give NE credit for their game plan and execution.

    The GOP can impeach Northam and unlike Clinton and Trump who could not be convicted in the Senate due to support from their own party, the Democrats would vote to oust Northam. The GOP may want to not impeach so that they can use this as an example of Democrats being racist in the 2020 election and get some black votes. But that is unlikely to work so far down the line. So I think they will impeach, if Northam does not resign.

    I watched only part of the SOTU and the rebuttal. I didn't wait to write a whole blog because I don't think there would be anything new or surprising. And there wasn't. As expected, Trump pretend to try to unite but came across as dividing again. He spewed the usual lies about North Korea, ISIS and Iran which all had been refuted by Dan Coasts and the intelligence community. So it was a boring long speech. Abrams attacked Trump for shutting down the government as expected. Her personal story about her father was good. But I don't think there was anything new in her speech either.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man