Tuesday, July 20, 2021

 Today is the first day of LA county restarting mask mandate for indoors even for vaccinated people.  The CDC has not make the change in recommendation yet but LA is jumping ahead because of cases increase.  There are many states that doing worse than California but LA had been the hardest hit area in California so it is not surprising that it is making this move.  The question is will others follow suit and will it be effective in stopping the variant surge?

I think if things continue this way, California as a whole will follow LA in mandating masks indoors again.  Some states may follow but others will not, at least not until things are much worse.  Florida is having 20% of the cases in the country now and I doubt that DeSantis will add restrictions anytime soon.  Even here in LA, the sheriff has said that he will not enforce the mandate.  I think the people who has not been vaccinated and not been wearing masks are certainly not going to follow the mandate.  So I am pessimistic that this will work.  I think there will be a surge in the fall unless we can get at least 20% more of the population fully vaccinated before cold weather hits.

In sports I noticed that Nick Saban, the football coach at Alabama, announced that his sophomore quarterback has already rack up a million dollars of endorsement.  Saban noted that Bryce Young has yet been named the starter.  It maybe his way to say that it is easy money if you come to Alabama!  So the rich will get richer or continue to be rich, but in a legal manner now!

3 comments:

  1. I am a little worried that since things have gotten worse in the summer that there will be a surge in the fall and winter when everyone is back inside. Looks like schools will have kids back too. I am encouraged to see those that were fully vaxed who got Covid were able to survive. I've only heard of one or two deaths by those who were vaccinated. Not sure if that is an accurate number.

    To address something you said in the last blog post...I am a little disturbed that 1. You know who BTS is and 2. That you know they are most popular. While I don't know if this is true or not, I will have to take your word for it!

    While I am all for student athletes to make money off their likeness, it seems to me that there are some grey areas and loopholes. I wonder if this will crash or if it'll auto correct itself. This does give the haves more power here because those fan bases with the deep pockets can make an impact. So I predict teams in the SEC like Alabama will entice players to come there because they see what they can be payed. This should help schools like Texas, USC and Michigan. So it's just another arms race that is only won by the rich schools!

    Pretty good NBA finals. I'm glad to see Giannis win one. There are rumors that CP3 will opt out and sign with the Lakers. It's probably too early but who knows. I see the women's soccer team lost this morning. I don't know how much of the Olympics I'll watch. I am also surprised to see how many athletes got Covid. I thought they were tested before leaving and were quarantined when they got there. Will Booker and Middleton play well in Tokyo or will the finals zapped their energy?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used BTS reference because I know that as an expert on DWTS, LBOAYM would know all about BTS dance moves and their popularity. I simply support Asian artists even though I don't understand their music or why they are popular.

    I am not too worry about the women soccer team even after that unexplainable bad loss. Being in the same group as Sweden means that they won't see them again in the knockout rounds until the finals. Obviously, they will have to play better and this won't be a cakewalk that some have predicted.

    I am actually more worried about the men's basketball team. Like you said, Middleton and Booker maybe exhausted and they won't have a chance to play with the others before the games start. But more problematic is that they lack big men. JaVale McGee is the backup center? If we have a bad night shooting from the outside, we are going to be in trouble. Nobody is picking Slovenia to medal but they have Doncic. He can be a one man show. Most people don't remember that in one Olympic, Butch Lee almost beat the U.S. by himself while playing for Puerto Rico. And Butch Lee was never an NBA star like Doncic. So I am picking Slovenia to medal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a comment earlier but somehow was not able to be published. So I will try a shorter version and see if it goes through.

    As I said, I am worried about the men's basketball team. They are not playing well probably due to not enough time together. They have couple of group games that they should win and then the knockout round. Durant will have to score more than 10 points for them to win regardless.

    See what I told you about Doncic and Slovenia? Argentina is not the Argentina of old. If 41 year old Luis Scola is your best player, you are in trouble. Still, Doncic and Slovenia are impressive. So add them to Spain, Australia and Italy to the lists of the teams that the U.S. will have to play well to beat.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man