Monday, September 14, 2009

I was quite happy with my football predictions on Saturday. Sure I was wrong about USC and OSU. But I had also predicted to my younger son that Michigan and UCLA were going to lose. Since my alma mater and his school won, it makes me 0-3 in predictions but very happy. The truth is that OSU should have won even though I was wrong about the abilities of the two qbs. Pryor doesn't seem to have improve much as far as passing goes from last year. And I expected him to scramble more which I think would cause more problems for USC and may have opened up the passing. Barkley did better at the end than I thought he possibly could. He didn't panic and certainly did not choke at the end as I predicted. I am not sold on him, however. It is obvious that the USC offense was way more conservative than in previous years. I think with Aaron Corps, who can scramble and throw, USC would have won easily. I hope that USC play this way against Cal in a few weeks.

In continuation on weekend sports: I think Serena Williams got off too easy. She should have been fined a lot more and suspended. But you know that would never happen. Not when they never supended McEnroe and Connors. Truth is tennis was at its most popular time when the two bad boys were playing. Tennis authorities know that controversial personalities sell tickets and bring high ratings. They were not about to have Connors and McEnroe miss tournaments and they are not going to have Serena Williams miss tournaments if they can help it.

McEnroe, by the way, predictably defended Williams. He said that foot fault should not be called in this situation, ie bring on match point. He said refs let fouls go in basketball all the time especially at end of games. I think that is absurd. Michael Jordan may get away with fouls because he is a superstar and because fouls are subjective. But stepping on a line is not subjective. If a ref sees Jordan step on the line with the ball near the end of the game, he is going to call it. In this case if the linesman sees a foot fault, he or she must call it, regardless where we are at the match. Anyways if it was not for linesmen and umpires who "can't be serious", McEnroe would not be making so much money after he retired!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man