Friday, June 25, 2010

Couple days ago I had a most interesting day watching sports. I am currently in Hawaii for a wedding. So on Wednesday morning when I tried to watch the U.S. soccer game, I had to get up at 4 a.m. I found that my two sons and brother in law were also up. We watched Landon Donovan scored the winning goal in stoppage time and then we jumped up, screaming in celebration. We are staying at this magnificent villa by the ocean ( the groom has a very rich friend), and we woke everybody up despite the vastness of this place.

After half hour of celebration, I went back to my room and turned on Wimbledon. I saw 4 sets of score and a score of 30-30. I figure then they are in the first game of the 5th set and are tied 30-30 in points. It took me awhile, seeing that after points were played that the score was still 30-30 that I realized that was the game score, not the point score. Thus continued a day of watch tennis till 59-59! So I was exhausted from watching sport while vacationing in paradise!

The group round of the world cup having been completed, I make the following observation. South Americans play the best soccer, by far. The European players are way overrated. They are way overpaid. Christian Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney? I think South America should get one of Europe's spots for the World Cup next time.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Hope you had a great time. Sounds like fun, though I am glad I didn't have to wake up so early to watch the soccer games and to follow Wimbledon.

    I think the different styles of soccer around the world are interesting. I don't know if the U.S. has a style yet but I think the talent level is getting better.

    Why is Brazil so good? I thought that maybe the Portugese brought the game to Brazil but I have no idea if Portugal is any good.

    Mexico is over rated. I think they get a distinct home field advantage since they play in such a high elevation. I was surprised that they didn't do better in South Africa since some of the stadiums were in high elevation cities.

    I want the games to come to the U.S. for selfish reasons and I think if they have any venues in California, Texas or Arizona, there'd be enough people from south of the border to watch the games (if they can afford it)!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Mexico is overrated. Take away their altitude advantage and they are about the level of South Korea or Japan. The only European team that I like is Holland. Unfortunately they will play Brazil next. The U.S. has the athletes to beat anyone on a given day but there is not any world class talent except for Donovan and Howard. If they get to host in 2018 they may be able to get to the semi-finals I believe.

    I think South Americans have the combination of the flare from playing in the streets and good coaching as the players get older. I think Europeans and Americans grow up playing club soccer which means good coaching but not good individual style. Africans play in the street and has flare but no good coaching and thus is still behind.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man