Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I see that people are already filing lawsuits regarding the Facebook IPO. Frankly I am surprised that this has not happened a lot more. The average investor does not have a chance with these IPOs. If they are hot, they are all grabbed by the big institutions. Now it comes out that Morgan Stanley told big investors information about Facebook that was not made public. I think this is not first time it has happened. The thing is, I think the public are more cynical about Wall Street than ever before since the Great Depression. Having seen recently JP Morgan Chase making risky bet just couple of weeks ago and seeing Facebook stock plummeted quickly in two days, people are going to be suspicious. You know, the market is all about confidence and believe that everything is straight. If these confidence and beliefs are shaken, then we will have bigger problems than we have now. Stronger regulation and enforcement must be in place, otherwise people are going to hide their money under the mattress.

Even though I think Katherine Jenkins should have won, I can see why Donald Driver did. I think of all nine dances during the two night of competition, his country dance was the best. It was original and full of risks and he executed it. I thought he passed Levy during the final even though Levy was way better during the season. Levy's dances all looked similar and I agree with Len that his free style dance was not up to par. Jenkins was still the best overall but for some reason football players have a big following. I would not expect that people who are big fans of football would be fans of ballroom dancing. Also why are football players so good compare with basketball players? Now if Jeremy Lin can do well on this show, then Linsanity would be returning because the surprise would not be an Asian can dance, but a basketball player can!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:24 AM

    I am sure the Facebook stuff has happened before and the only reason we didn't hear about it, is that the Facebook IPO was scrutinized for such a long time. It will be a lot harder for businesses to do this from now on because all eyes are on them.

    Now, that doesn't mean they will stop these illegal practices. I bet we will hear more in the years ahead, especially when the lawsuits aren't front page news.

    I wish I had worked at Facebook and gotten to become an instant millionaire last week. I would have either quit my job and cashed in the stocks or stayed there and cashed in half of them. Unless Facebook can find a way to make money, I don't see how it can increase in value.

    Final thoughts on DWTS...

    I also think Katherine should have won, but when you put the votes in the audience hands and phone calls, this is what you get. Donald Driver came on strong at the end and you are right. His freestyle was the best.

    There is something about the work ethic of skill position football players that make them so good in the show. I liked how Driver looked at film of his performances and other performers, just to get better.

    As far as Jeremy Lin goes, it would definitely be interesting to see how well he does. Something's gotta give!

    Next season of DWTS is supposed to be an All-Star version. I may have to keep an eye out for it, even though I don't watch the show!

    Last thing. I forgot that Martina Navratalova was on, until I saw her at the finale. If I remember correctly, you were once a big tennis fan. Do you think tennis players would do well on DWTS?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cnn.com had an article today which said that Morgan Stanley profited from either rise OR fall of Facebook prices after the IPO in addition to the underwriting fees which it was already getting! It is a good read. It is all legal although I don't see how it can be ethical. If more ordinary people realize this, the confidence in our whole economic system can really be shaken up.

    I think that I already had mentioned about tennis players doing poorly in dancing, just like basketball players. Remember Monica Seles also finished last? I think I also mentioned that since I probably played these two sports more than any others, I am handicapped as a dancer. Add to the disadvantage as Asian, I would consider myself way better than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:35 AM

    Looks like Jeremy Lin is on the USA Select basketball team. If I remember correctly, it's like a scout team for the National team and there were guys in the past that made it to the National team in later years.

    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/national/2012_mselect_roster.html

    I wonder if Lin will be ready to play. He was supposed to be ready for the playoffs if the Knicks had advanced, but who knows if he's fully healed.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man