Monday, March 11, 2013

Rand Paul did the good old fashion filibuster last week.  I don't agree with Rand Paul a lot but I think it is great that he was willing to stand up for hours speaking to a dwindling audience in order to get his point across.  This is a lot better than have the minority party simply say they are going to filibuster and if they got 40 votes then everything comes to a halt.  If you are going to filibuster, you should actually get up and stand there and talk nonstop, the way it was meant to be.

I don't think there is any chance that a president will order drone strike against American citizens unless there is a reason of extreme national security.  I think the debate instead should be setting guidelines internationally of when this type of weapon should be used.  Make no mistake about it, the technology of drones is spreading.  China, for example, has quite a bit capability in this.  If we use it without good reason, then in the future other countries will say that they are only using it the same way the U.S. did.  And what about terrorists acquiring the technology?  These are all more important debate than Rand's rant.

Let March Madness begin!  I am, of course, talking about the election of the new pope.  I think we should start brackets and see who can come up with the right champion.  I am betting on the guy from Brazil.  With Latin America having the most Catholics in the world, it is about time someone from there is elected.  Plus, I always pick Brazil for every World Cup.

Another election I want to mention is for the mayor of LA.  This took place last week and as expected there will be a runoff as no candidate received 50%.  This outcome was obvious since there were 6 candidates and none of them were that well known.  What ticks me off is that they have this election 4 months after the presidential election.  Why don't they have it in November to save some money?  Not only that, only 16% showed up to vote last week.  The electorate is pathetic but I am sure they would have had a much greater number in November.

The only election this month that is a slam dunk is the Chinese presidential election.  So you thought that had already happened last year?  Well, technically the election is now but it was decided behind close doors last November.  So I can predict the Yi Jinping will be the new president!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:56 AM

    Who in your book, is crazier? Rand Paul or his father? The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree on this one.

    I really respect Ron Paul and he seems like a nice guy. It just seems like Rand is an extreme version of his dad. Maybe he just has more energy? How the heck did he end up in Kentucky anyway?

    I have to disagree with you on the filibuster thing. I don't think congressmen are using it like it was designed for anymore. Now it's just a way to grandstand and get on TV. It's all about the sound bite and to pretend that you are fighting for some kind of higher cause.

    Did you catch Rand's snack break where he almost choked on his candy? That seemed to make more news than the rest of his speaking.

    Great idea on the Pope election. I like to pick teams with nice uniforms but it looks like all the Cardinals wear the same outfit, so I have no idea who to pick. I know there's a guy from NY, but I guess I would put him as a 12 seed or would he be a play-in guy?

    There's a Filipino cardinal, which intrigues me. If you believe that they would want to "spread the word", maybe electing someone in Asia would be beneficial?

    The L.A. mayor situation sounds ridiculous and you are right, it's a HUGE waste of money.

    No comment about the Chinese election.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rand Paul may really be more extreme than his father. But Ron knew he had no chance to be president. He only wanted to put what he truly believes out there. So while I don't always agree with him, I know he is sincere to the utmost extent. Rand, on the other hand, thinks that he can be president someday and so he tries to appeal to the Republican base so he is going to be more extreme than his father no matter what he truly believes. There is a rumor that Ashley Judd may run against Mitch O'Connell. If that is true and Judd actually wins in the conservative state of Kentucky, then it will interesting if Rand Paul and others change their tune. I don't know if Judd will be good but at least he would put a scare into the Republicans like Arnold did to the Democrats in California.

    No chance for any American to become pope given the priest scandals and decrease of enthusiasm of Catholics in the U.S. compare with other parts of the world. I doubt the Filipino guy is in the running although I read somewhere that if there is a long dead lock, he may become a compromise candidate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:55 AM

    What about a Pope from Africa? That would be something!

    Write about your Big Ten Tournament picks and your DWTS (A show I DO NOT WATCH) picks before the season starts!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the next pope will be from Africa. He will be from Argentina! See how easy it is if you wait till you get home before writing your blog. Brazilians will not be happy. They hate losing anything to Argentina.

    The Big Ten tournament is totally unpredictable. I don't like the chances of M because it is obvious they don't have enough size. So unless they shoot well and get out on the break, they can't beat teams like MSU and Indiana. So since they have to win 4 straights, it is impossible without an inside game. Of course MSU and Indiana can lose to Iowa or Minnesota even. If I have to pick, I will go with OSU. I am not picking MSU so I won't jinx you and Indiana is not going to get lucky two weeks in a row.

    More unpredictable than the Big Ten is DWTS. Any prediction will be just a wild guess without seeing any of the contestants. I guess the young gymnast who have Mark as a partner should be the favor on paper like you said. The boxer Ortiz trains in this area. so maybe I can teach him the Salsa and make him a contender. I think we should wait until after the first week to predict the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:20 AM

    All I know is that if Argentina wins the World Cup, I might have to become Catholic!

    As far as the Big Ten goes, I will pick Indiana to win it, since I still think they are the best team.

    I don't think UM can last all four days. I'm really curious to see if they can even get past Penn State.

    If they can, I can see them making it to Saturday, where I think it sets up a rematch with IU.

    MSU is finally healthy, so I am curious to see if they can use some of the bench early on. Iowa will be very tough to play. They are playing very good right now. I am hoping it'll be Northwestern.

    I would love to see you teach Ortiz the Salsa. Heck, I would to see you eat salsa (the spicy kind)!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any team that has Lionel Messi is capable of winning any tournament. So I think your chances of becoming Catholic next year is pretty good. Certainly greater than becoming an evangelical if Tebow wins the Super Bowl!

    I can't believe you had doubts about M beating PSU. If they had not lost to PSU couple of weeks ago then they might have been over confident like last time and get upset. But it is obvious they would be out for blood today due to that loss. Of course, if they had not lost last time Wisconsin would be playing PSU instead today. I think they have enough to beat Wisconsin but then they will be too tire to go against the big front line of Indiana.

    I think the key for MSU, OSU and M is play well enough to get a 2 seed and avoid teams like Indiana and Duke till the regional finals. Now if you are a 2 seed and in the region that Gonzaga is 1 then destiny to the Final Four is in your own hand. I don't think that Gonzaga has played enough against teams that are of the quality of the Big Ten elites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:02 AM

    Definitely agree with you on the Gonzaga bracket. MSU is really gunning to be in that bracket, since Indiana or Kansas will be in the midwest for sure.

    Did you know that UM was only up on PSU by 2 at halftime? So, I wasn't really that off. UM went on a run and PSU ran out of gas.

    I think UM can outlast Wisconsin, especially since Wisconsin plays the slow down ball.

    I am nervous about MSU's game vs. Iowa but hopefully they will play to their potential.

    As far as Argentina goes, I just hope there's no "Hand of God" that helps them win the World Cup!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot believe that M allowed 50 points to Wisconsin in the second half! Obviously I did not see the game bit I thought.Wisconsin could not score 50 in half against a D3 school. A good win for MSU. You may get your 2 seed.

    I.see that Snyder hired a black guy to run Detroit. I don't think it will stop the outcry right?

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man