Friday, February 07, 2014

The Lakers' Robert Sacre was allowed to continue playing after committing his 6th foul the other day.  The Lakers was down to 4 players if Sacre was disqualified.  This was due to the fact that they had only 8 players dressed because of injuries  Then 2 of the 8 were injured during the game.  Then another player had fouled out before Sacre.  The rule was that a team must have 5 players on the floor so Sacre was allowed to stay in and the Lakers were assessed a technical free throw.  This seems like a small price to pay to avoid playing a man short.  Seems to me this loophole can be exploited.  Say Kobe Bryant had pick up his 5th foul, you may want to send all the bench players to the lock room with fake injuries and then if Bryant picks up his 6th foul, he would be able to stay in the game.  I think this rule needs to be revisited.

This reminds me of a dream I had several years ago.  I dreamed that I was in Boston Garden watching the Pistons play the Celtics.  The Pistons ran out of players due to injuries and they announced they need someone from Detroit to play for them.  Naturally I ran to the floor and got in the game.  I realized that I can't guard any of the Celtics and can't block them out for rebounds.  So as soon as the Celtics take a shot, I would run to the other end, hoping the Pistons get the rebound and I can cherry pick.  This actually worked in the dream and I scored several layups.  Then with a few seconds left and the Pistons down by 1, Laimbeer fired a pass to me but as I went up for the layup and win, I got a horrible cramp on my right calf,.  I fell to the floor and missed the shot.  At this point I woke up all mad.  I then realized that I did have a cramp on my right calf which took several minutes to go away.  Lately I have been having sciatic attacks on that same right leg.  I wonder if this is the consequence of playing in that game.  Curse those Celtics!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:30 AM

    I only remember that foul situation happening once before. You're probably right that it can be a problem and there could be abuse but I think the league would change the rule if it thought necessary. I would be in favor of making the points only count 1 instead of 2 if a team is in that situation. Maybe 3 point shots would be worth 2 points. Not sure what to think about foul shots though.

    No Olympics or Pistons fire Mo Cheeks comments?

    Obama was in Michigan to sign a farm bill. I have no clue what that bill does or doesn't do. There seems to be a lot of support here for it, which I guess is good.

    Sounds like you are still having problems with your sciatica. Hope you get better. Your dream is totally ridiculous! Actually, I laughed out loud about the whole thing. Maybe you can blame Danny Ainge for biting you in the leg, thus causing your cramping!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure why Obama was in Mich. for the farm bill. I am sure Mich gets subsidy from this but would not be as much as say Iowa or Kansas. This bill was passed by bipartisan support so that is good. But it did not reduce a lot of subsidies that many say are a waste. It also decreased food stamp which I would think hurt Mich more than Iowa or Kansas, so I don't know why he did not go to a more Republican state to show off this bill.

    I am not a fan of the Winter Olympics. So no comments for now. The Pistons is a young team who looks good one day and horrible the next. Mo Cheeks seem to me to be doing as well as he can given the immature talent. They have had about 6 or 7 coaches since their last championship so I am afraid my hero Joe Dumas may have to go. He also looked like about 100 lbs heavier lately. He did a great job winning that last championship without a super star but I don't think you can keep blaming the coaches.

    I think they should make them play short handed if they ran out of players. The Lakers only dressed 8. If they had 12 players they would never run out. So it is because the are too cheap to sign players from the D league for 10 day contracts. I mean with 8 players you can't even scrimmage. So how is it fair they are using their 8th player while someone dressing 12 would be using their 9th player when their 8th foul out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:28 AM

    Maybe the solution is to make it mandatory to have a full roster and if it hits the salary cap, then so be it. Then again, these circumstances don't happen very often. Do you know how many times it happens during a season?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea if it happened before. Maybe if it happened before it would be a game that neither side wants to win like the Lakers and Cavs as they are probably thinking lottery!

    Who is the ooach of Pistons? Never heard of him. Pistons are still in playoff hunt in the weak east. But should they play for the lottery also?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:00 AM

    The new coach was an assistant from the last coach and stayed on when Mo Cheeks got hired. This is obviously his first head coaching job, though it is on an interim basis.

    The Pistons are probably the worst run franchise in Detroit right now. I don't know what Dumars is doing. I don't think the new owner knows what he is doing. He isn't running the team correctly, in my opinion.

    He supposedly told Dumars to spend this past off season and get some talent to get them into the playoffs. But they couldn't attract any A level players. They got some B level guys but they were also known to have conflicted with their coaches before. So they took a chance and they said it was playoffs or bust this year.

    Keep in mind that last year, that they went on a winning streak at the end of the year and decreased their chances at the lottery.

    Then I think there's a condition on their first round pick this year because of the Josh Smith trade. If they get picks 9-14, then they have to send the pick to Charlotte. So most likely, they could miss the playoffs and not get a first round pick.

    My thinking is that even if they make the playoffs, they're not going to make it out of the first round, so why even try to win games at this point? Why fire your coach when there is more season left?

    It baffles me who inept they are. And who is really to blame? Can you really blame your coach? The one consistent has been Dumars. If you wanted to fire your coach, then at least make Dumars move down to the coaching position so that he can work with the talent he brought in. If he fails, then fire him.

    I really liked Dumars the player and I think he's a great guy, but this is about making the Pistons a better team. Also, he had an opportunity to draft Trey Burke, who I admit, was a great player coming out of college. The Pistons needed a point guard and he would have put butts in the seats. But no, they didn't like his size, so they ended up drafting a taller shooting guard, who is just an OK player. And they still don't have a true point guard.

    OK, enough about my Pistons rant!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man