Sunday, February 02, 2014

Went to a movie premiere last night.  It is a documentary about a Korean adoptee going back to Korea and finding his biological parents. In my opinion, this is a great movie. It was produced and directed by Asian Americans.  They all did an excellent professional job.  I laughed and cried throughout the movie. Men sitting by us also cried.  It is a movie about love, family and identity.  I think all these are universal values.  Full disclosure:  the young man in the movie went to middle and high school with my son and they are still great friends today.  So I knew parts of the story before hand but I was still surprised how the movie brought out such emotion in me and others.  The movie will be shown on Korean tv as a four part mini series.  After that they plan on putting it on YouTube.  But I think it can go farther than that.  It has yet been officially named.  I will write when it is distributed in the U.S.

Saw a picture in Chinese newspaper of Li Na accepting an award from the governor of her native province after winning the Australian Open.  Her face tells it all:  no smile.  The article says the Chinese sports federation regard her success as a result of the training and nurturing China gave her.  It is laughable.  Li was a mediocre player until she broke away from the restraint of the Chinese system.  Other athletes who have done most of their training outside of China include Sun Yang, who trained in Australia, and Lu Xiang who trained in the U.S.  I am not sure that they would have become world champions if they stayed in China.  I think the rigid Chinese system hurt many athletes and more should be going abroad to improve their skills.

Happy New Year, everybody!  Time to watch the Super Bowl.  I have taken Denver since NE lost but I don't really have a horse in this one.  Just hope it is a good game!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:24 AM

    Funny you should mention the documentary. I was going to send you an article on Korean twins who were separated and recently found each other via social media. One of them is an actress in the U.S. and the other lives in France.

    I think there's a documentary that will come out about the whole thing at some point. Here's a link to the story:

    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/adopted-south-koreans-twins-separated-birth-article-1.1307240

    I would like to watch the documentary you watched. Let me know if you hear when it comes out.

    Does Li Na train in the U.S.? I wonder if these athletes would ever become citizens of the places they train. Probably not, if they have family in China still.

    Not quite how I expected the Super Bowl to turn out. We all know defense wins championships, but that was just a crazy game.

    Happy New Year!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. The twins were in this movie! They said that Dan, who is the man in the movie, inspired them to do theirs. Being good looking women and involving U.S. And France, their movie may become bigger. My son said he has met the one from U.S. Talking about a small world.

    I read somewhere that Li Na used to train in Florida but that was a long time ago. Ironically her current coach, Carlos Rodriguez has an academy in Beijing. So maybe she is training in China now! But of course it is not the location but the method that is important. And I am sure the federation is not telling Li how to train anymore!

    The only good thing about the game was the half time show. It shows an Asian man can sing and dance with the best. Of course as I said before: Filippinos should not count as Asians in dancing (or singing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:21 AM

    We need to embrace our Filipino cousins as part of the Asian community (which most of us-except you do), since we know that you are not holding up your end on the dancing (and singing) part!

    I have been a fan of Bruno Mars for a while now. He's incredibly talented and seems very humble. He's basically embraced old school music and added a modern flair to it.

    I am really interested to see the documentary from the twins. I couldn't believe how much they looked like each other (I know they are twins!). Usually you hear about twins separated at birth but they don't look that close. Plus, these girls lived in totally different environments and probably had different diets.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting enough, Dan also has an identical twin! He was sick and small at birth so his dad gave him away, telling the mom Dan had not survive birth! So despite growing up in U,S, he is 4 inches shorter than his brother who is over 6 ft tall! They have similar personality but are quite different physically. Nobody would think they are identical by looking. (I think whoever is older usually is better looking). But then despite different upbringing their taste and personality are very close! So both of these movies are very interesting.

    About athletes staying in China. They can make more money by staying in China as heroes and celebrities. But I bet they will have children born in the u.s as a safety valve! Yao Ming's daughter was born here even though he continued his education and businesses in China.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:41 AM

    Oh wow, I didn't know that Yao Ming's daughter was born in the U.S. If I remember correctly, he married a basketball player, right? Their daughter will be quite tall probably. Where do they live? Houston? Or do they live in China?

    Incredible story about Dan. I am assuming you are talking about the older twin being better looking, which I don't know if that is the case. Your theory definitely doesn't hold up to regular siblings! I am much better looking than my old brother!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man