Sunday, February 08, 2015

I want to hear some opinions on the new sitcom Fresh off the Boat.  Since this is only the second Asian American sitcom after Margaret Cho's show, I am hoping it would be a success.  It is extremely difficult for a show like this to succeed. On the one hand, if the characters are portrayed like "average Americans" then what would be special about the show?  But if too much racial undertone is used then "average American" may not watch.  And if too much stereotype is used, then it would not serve Asian Americans well.  So all this is a fine line to walk on.  Add to that, you have to be funny.  So this is a high mountain to climb.  I just wish the show the best of luck.

I actually did not watch the Super Bowl last week.  Don't ask!  After hearing people say that Pete Carroll called the worst play in history of the Super Bowl, I looked at the highlights.  I didn't think that was such a bad call.  I mean, there was about 30 seconds left and one timeout.  If they ran the ball and failed, they would have had to use the timeout.  Then if they ran it again and failed, they may not have time to run a third time without a no huddle.  Sure, the chances are they would have scored on two tries running from the one.  But there have been times when NFL teams fail on 2-3 times running from the one.  And the odds are overwhelming that they can pass for one yard as well.  I suspect the odds of an interception from the one is not higher than a fumble from the one.  If the pass is incomplete, the next two plays can be run without a no huddle regardless of what happen.  So I don't think it was a gamble at all for Carroll.  On the other hand, why no criticism for Belicheck for not calling timeout after the first run?  Maybe by not watching the game itself, I missed something but that is my opinion from the highlights.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:09 AM

    So, did you actually watch Fresh Off the Boat? I got a chance to watch both episodes that aired last week. I thought they were OK. I can identify with some of the situations.

    To me, it's a step forward. That said, I would rather watch Modern Family and The Goldbergs. I started watching Selfie, which stars John Cho, but I heard it got cancelled. I thought that show was decent as well.

    The funny thing is that the people I came across that didn't know anything about the show, was that they were offended at the title of the show. Well, I had to tell them that the name is from the memoirs, that the lead character is from.

    As far as the Super Bowl goes, I think had the Patriots lost, Belicheck would have been blamed for not calling timeout. In fact, the announcers were surprised he didn't call a timeout. Then they thought that he would let them score. But since he didn't, you can say that the blame goes to Carroll or whoever called that play. Maybe Belicheck got into Carroll's head.

    To me, it's a bad call. Just score the touchdown or keep it on the ground. There are too many variables by throwing, such as a tip or interception. If you are going to throw it, make it a fade so that only the receiver has a chance at it.

    But still, throwing a pass there is dumb. If it's incomplete, the clock stops. Carroll's excuses, made no sense. Now, you can blame the QB because it was an ill-advised throw. He just simply didn't see the DB there.

    It'll be debated for years. But I simply don't agree with Carroll that he didn't want to leave too much time on the clock. I mean, there would have been about 30 seconds! If you have any respect for your defense, you put it in that position. I don't care if it's Brady, Manning or Montana. He's gotta go about 45 yards there to even have a chance for a FG.

    -LBOAYM



    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did watch the first two episodes. I agree with you that it was all right but not fantastic, like a lot of critics say. It is not anywhere as good as Modern Family or Big Bang Theory, my two favorite sitcoms. Of course, those are very high bars to reach. But I thought Selfie was pretty good and yet it got cancelled in half a season. I guess the country is not ready for an Asian male romantic lead. As I said before, there are not Asian male lead doctors on tv either which is just plain unrealistic.

    I think that the odds of scoring from the one on a pass or run are both above 50% but less than 60%. The odds of fumbling or intercepting is also about 3% each. The odds incomplete or sack vs no gain or loss on a run are not that much different. If the ball is at midfield then a run is much more likely to succeed but at the one with the defense stacked at the line, I don't think a pass is such a bad call. A pass guarantee 3 plays to score. A run on second down, if failed, leads to last timeout and maybe you have to go with the pass on third down because if you run and fail, you may not get another snap off. So if you say give it to Lynch, I can't argue with that. But Carroll's call is far from being horrible, certainly not the worst in history.

    I would agree that a fade would be better. I would have Wilson roll out and throw to a tight end who just run away from the line in the same direction as the QB. If covered, just throw it away and no grounding would be called. Or Wilson may be able to run it in himself. And I agree that Carroll's excuse about leaving too much time on the clock is lame. In that case, running would have taken more time off the clock, so I don't know why he says that. I guess in the end, Seattle was lucky to get this far and luck just ran out. Or went over to NE and Belicheck.





















    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man