Sunday, February 22, 2015

Happy Chinese new year!  Since it is Chinese new year, we will talk about Hong Kong today.  As you know it had been a year of turmoil in HK.  A long protest called the umbrella movement put light on Beijing's rule of HK.  Although the street occupation by protesters have been stopped, I think we will be revisiting the same in the near future.  So it is interesting that the very unpopular chief executive of HK, C,Y. Leung came out with a statement asking the people of HK to behave more like sheep in this the year of the sheep.  Sheep are considered to mild and gentle and live in groups without fighting.  Of course, Leung is called the wolf by his critics.  So this is not lost on the people of HK and all kinds of jokes or serious discussion will come out of this.  The word for sheep, goat or ram are all the same in Chinese.  Since I am born under this sign, I will prefer to say its is the year of the ram since I think the ram is tougher than goats or sheep.  I mean the LA Rams sound a lot better than LA Sheep or Goats.

Also from HK, a Filipino domestic worker recently won a scholarship to NYU to study photography after her photos of Filipino domestic workers in a shelter for abused migrant workers in HK came to light.  There are 320,000 foreign domestic workers in HK.  When I was there in 2007 I walked into a park on a Sunday where many of these women were congregating.  This was the one day off they had and since they can't afford other entertainment, they gathered there to visit with each other.  I felt a little uncomfortable then even without knowing that some of them were abused.  As a land that was colonized for much of recent history and now being governed by a communist government, I would think the people of the land I was born, would be very cognizant of human rights.  I think now that HK people are well off financially, they should be treating others as well as they wanted to be treated when they were under British rule.  Now that they are demanding more human rights from Beijing, they should be giving more rights to their foreign workers.  I see some abuses are being tried in court and there are calls for laws improving the lives of foreign workers.  I hope HK will continue to make improvements in this sad situation.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Since this is the Year of the Ram, does this mean it's a big year for you? I remember seeing all the Filipinas hanging out when I went to HK.

    I think that it's a societal thing when it comes to how people treat each other. I think a lot of the HK people are so used to the situation there, that it doesn't faze them.

    I think that as more of these cases come to the front, the more action will be taken. Then again, if the news is supressed, then the people will never know.

    I heard that DWTS is announcing who will be on the show today. Since it is not a show I watch, I probably won't know who will be on it normally. But since you are an avid watcher, I will check it out and make my blind picks before the season starts!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Well, I was on the internet and the list of contestants on DWTS came out.

    Noah Galloway with Sharna Burgess
    Robert Herjavec with Kym Johnson
    Patti LaBelle with Artem Chigvintsev
    Nastia Liukin with Derek Hough
    Riker Lynch with Allison Holker
    Charlotte McKinney with Keo Motsepe
    RedFoo with Emma Slater
    Michael Sam with Peta Murgatroyd
    Willow Shields with Mark Ballas
    Suzanne Somers with Tony Dovolani
    Rumer Willis with Val Chmerkovskiy

    I think Nastia Liukin will win it. I am also going with Michael Sam as my dark horse. Definitely like the athletes here.

    I know most of the celebrities except for Lynch and McKinney, so I will say one of those will go home early!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  3. A side note about Sean Penn's joke during the Oscar show about winning director Alejandro Inarritu. If Inarritu thinks it is funny and not offensive to him, then I don't know what the fuss is all about. I personally would not choose a world wide audience to tell an ethnic joke but hey, if the target of the joke is a good friend and he does not mind, then it is nobody's business.

    I can always count on you to be up to date with DWTS, obviously your favorite show. I have no idea who Gallowsy, Lynch, Mckinney, Shieds, or Willis are. It does seem like Derek Hough, the best choreographer, always gets a contender. So it is easy to pick Liukin and Hough to win. Suzanne Sommers is from my era and so must be at least as old as me and it seems Tony always get someone really old and has no chance. So this is really unfair. Michael Sam, a black, gay athlete. All the stereotypes of a good dancer and he is matched with Peta, a very good choreographer. So in defense of Penn's political incorrectness, I will pick Michael Sam. If after this competition he makes an NFL team, then we may see more active players try to get on the show! So I am rooting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:43 PM

    The Penn comments were one of those times when a ribbing between two friends in public was misinterpreted by people that are not part of the inside joke.

    Penn has to know that when you are in public like that, there will always be people who do not know about your relationship with the other person.

    But maybe Penn didn't care. He probably could have made it better by saying how he and Inarritu were good friends and always ribbed each other. Still, there are people out there that don't like that kind of humor, so you'll never please them.

    The only reason I keep an eye on DWTS is because of you! Normally I'd watch football, hockey or some other manly shows!

    I was thinking the same thing regarding Hough. I would like it if he got a real project at least once. Though you could say that he got one when he had the girl that had lost part of her legs. But she was also an athlete, so that shows most athletes can do well on the show.

    Thoughts on Obama's veto?

    Also, have you started to watch Better Call Saul?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  5. My feeling is that both sides exaggerated the effects of Keystone. I think the environmental concerns are overblown and the amount of jobs created will be a lot lesser than the GOP claim. So I don't really care either way. I probably would not veto and instead fight on something more important. But I guess since Obama only has vetoed 3 times, way less than other presidents, he feels he is entitled. Plus, he doesn't think anything he does will create good will from the GOP and so why should he care what they think or say?

    I have not started watching Better call Saul. I keep missing it. Is it any good?

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man