Monday, July 05, 2010

Well, there goes my theory of South American soccer superiority over Europe. The only team left from S.A. is Uruguay. And they should have lost. Brazil and Argentina showed a lack of discipline once they got behind. Ultimately what I like about Brazil and Argentina is what cost them. They try to attack first and defend second. So on a given day with the attack stalled, they are vulnerable from counterattacks. The 3 European teams deserve to be in the semi-final but overall I still think South America outperformed Europe.

In an attempt to save face, I will predict the winners of the semi-final. The Netherlands have the best record in World Cup history without winning. And having beaten Brazil, I think they deserve to win this time. While I like the way Germany has played (except against Serbia), I will take Spain over them because I don't think the young German team can sustain 3 impressive games in a row. The Netherlands, I predict, will win the championship. Europe will get its first champion in a World Cup played outside of Europe!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:54 AM

    I think you should stick with your S. American theory and just pick Uruguay to win it. I for one, will pick Spain to win it all!

    What did you think of Nadal's dominance at Wimbledon? I still think he is the best overall player on the circuit. I think we are seeing the slow decline of Federer, who will probably win one or two more majors before it's all said and done but he doesn't look as dominant as before.

    By the way, was that Borg at the final? I would not have recognized him. Maybe if he put on a headband!

    Are you guys traveling to the Midwest this summer? If so, did you set a date?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man