Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Parade magazine had an article on Romney last week. A few weeks earlier it had an article about Rick Perry. Given Perry's fall since then, I wonder if this would jinx Romney. With the Iowa caucus coming up soon, I have decided to put my 2 cents worth out there about the Republican candidates. If none of them win the nomination and somebody like Donald Trump wins then I know I have jinx power and I promise I will write about Trump then.

Mitt Romney has been the front runner from the beginning. He is the Republican establishment's candidate because they believe that he has the best chance to defeat Obama. I would agree with that. He has not been able to get more than 25% of the Republicans to support him because the conservatives have a deep mistrust of him. Frankly I don't understand. This man has been married to the same woman about 40 years. He is by all account a good husband and father and is a christian who has helped many people in his church. Maybe his policies were not always conservative in the past but he has live a life of conservative values, much more so than many others who claim to have strong morals.

I will agree that Romney is probably among the most moderate, along with Paul and Huntsman. I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't think he will repeal Obamacare and I don't think he will try to make abortion illegal. I don't think his credential as a businessman is necessary a positive. He made a lot of money but he had money to begin with. His company made money by downsizing companies and get rid of jobs. He went to France for his Mormon mission and I think that is a positive. He has been a hawk on the campaign trail which means I don't agree with him. But I think part of that is to attack Obama, I don't think he will be so hawkish if he is elected. Overall, Romney is a guy that I can be friend with. I would not vote for him but I would not be devastated if he is elected.

Newt Gingrich, on the other hand, is someone I loath. Talking about hypocrisy! Cheating on your wife while she is dying? The only other person in that same level is John Edwards. I don't consider adultery a game breaker because otherwise we would have eliminated 50% of the population right off the bat. But people like Gingrich, Edwards and those guys that are closet homosexuals who rail against gays should be disqualified on moral grounds.

With Gingrich, adultery is not the only moral issue. He had been censored by his fellow Congressmen in the past. Yet he has made millions lobbying for Freddie Mac. Republicans such as Tom Coburn, Peter King and Guy Molinari have come out against Gingrich. He says Obama has "Kenyan anti-colonial views" I guess Gingrich thinks that having African ancestry and being anti-colonialism is bad. I don't know if Obama actually has those views but the comment makes Gingrich seem very narrow minded to me. Gingrich also makes statement like "If Iran gets nuclear weapons then we should consider regime change." That sounds like war to me. This shows how dangerous a Gingrich presidency would be. Gingrich, to me, is unqualified to be president and would be a dangerous choice.

Ron Paul is not going to win. He may run as a third party candidate which would ensure Obama's reelection. I like Paul. I think he is sincere in his beliefs. While I don't agree with him on many policies, especially in foreign affairs, I respect his thinking. For example, I disagree with him on getting out of UN and NATO because I think isolationism will be detrimental to our security. I don't agree with him about stopping all foreign aid. But I agree with him in that a lot of the aid goes to rich people in poor countries and do not get to the people that we are trying to help. He is the only candidate who says Israel should not get aid because it can take care of itself. Overall, I can be friend with Paul and would be acceptable to me if gets elected.

Jon Huntsman would be my choice for the Republican nomination. He is obviously not going to win. He is basically Romney light to most Republicans. I don't know why he is even running. But his credential as a moderate is solid. He was a decent governor of Utah. He was ambassador to China, appointed by Obama. He speaks fluent Chinese and was not afraid to speak out against China when appropriate. But he understands, unlike most of other candidates, that bullying China is not going to work. Having travel around the world as a Mormon missionary and as a diplomat means that he has more foreign experience than others and I think a better understanding of the world.

I don't want to waste more time on the other three. Michelle Bachmann is Sarah Palin light. I would give her some credit of her work as a foster parent. Rick Perry is way out of his league when he leaves Texas. Rick Santorum? He is Michelle Bachmann light.

So basically my three choices in order are Huntsman, Paul and Romney. I can live with one of these three getting elected. God help us if Gingrich sneaks in. Ultimately I think Romney will win the nomination and is 50-50 against Obama with the state of the economy determining the general election.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:20 AM

    Pretty good blog on the nominees. I really only have a few things to add. Then maybe you can write about North Korea in your next blog, as I am interested to hear your take on what will happen in the future there. As I understand, nobody knows much about Kim's son and how he will run the country.

    I really can't believe we are still talking about a Trump candidacy. There should be a cutoff date on when someone can enter in the race. I find Trump amusing and I really question his motives as far as running goes.

    I actually don't mind many of Romney's policies. Since I am an independent and moderate, that must mean that Romney is closer to the middle. I think the current GOP doesn't want that and they want to get the Tea Party vote. I guess that's why Romney hasn't been able to take any commanding lead.

    I can't believe Gingrich is even in discussions to be the nominee. And the reason he's leading is because he talks about how great things were when he was speaker. Well, funny how people can change history, since he tried to go against everything Clinton tried to do and really wasn't any part of the economic recovery.

    I actually like listening to Paul talk, though I don't agree with many of his policies. To me, he's an extremist that could never get his policies to work in Washington. I've never run into a Paul supporter that wasn't crazy either.

    I don't know much about Huntsman, but I don't really know if the country is ready to elect a Mormon to office and that's going to hurt Romney too.

    If I were the GOP, I would concentrate on 2016 because I don't see any candidate beating Obama, which is pretty incredible.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought we would have a longer discussion on this topic and then move on to what I think of Obama's term so far. But I will move on to North Korea on the next blog. First a couple of comments on your comment.

    Donald Trump is not serious and is not a viable candidate. He is just keeping himself in the spotlight as part of his never ending self-promotion.

    I actually agree with many of the things Paul said. For example, he wants to pull troops home from bases. Korea is one place I would pull out. See next blog. He says he would legalize pot and he doesn't believe in seat belt laws. I agree with these as well. You have to right to mess up your life. You just don't have the right to mess up others, like texting while driving. Of course a lot of the so-called libertarians only believe in liberty for themselves. Many of them would out-law gay marriages even though that is not any of their business if they are true libertarians.

    I think Romney and Obama is a toss up. There are blue states any Democrat will win and there are red states that any Republican will win. So in the battleground states, Romney will immediately put Mich., Mass., and New Hampshire into play. If he picks Rubio as his vp, he may well win Florida. So it will be close even if the economy improves. If the economy worsens, Romney can very well win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:39 AM

    I agree to some extent of Paul's ideals but it is impractical to change laws like the seat belt laws now. I believe that motorcycle riders should not be forced to wear helmets but should they get into an accident, what is an insurance company supposed to do and what does a hospital do when the rider is injured?

    There are too many variables to deal with.

    I don't support the pulling out of troops because I believe we need to keep a military presence across the globe. And as far as legalizing pot, I don't support it either.

    I'm OK with its medicinal purpose but it's gotten out of hand and there are so many people taking advantage of the laws.

    I know people who smoke pot who claim it's not as bad as drinking. As someone who has never done it, I guess I'll never know but the people I've run across that were on it were not fully alert.

    I'll be surprised if Romney or any GOP candidate wins. Then again, I said that when Gore went up against Bush!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man