Saturday, February 04, 2012

I read about some broadcasters such as Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth who think that the new OT rule for the NFL playoff is worse than the old one. With the Super bowl being tomorrow, this is an interesting topic which I had thought about before. The old system gave the team that won the toss an enormous advantage. Three or four first downs, kick a field goal and win. Too easy, so the new system allows the other team to have a possession if the first team do not score a touchdown. Costas etc. feel that it is unfair now for the first team because the team that loses the toss can see what the first team does and basically have four downs each time to get the tying field goal or winning touchdown.

My take on this is that this new system gives more strategic thought to the game and thus I think is better than the old system. First of all, you don't have to elect to receive if you win the toss. More on that later. Sure, the second team have the advantage if the first team does not score a touchdown. But if the first team does score a touchdown, they win! Also knowing a field goal may not win it, the first team may also go for it on fourth down in the red zone. If they failed, the other team will have a long way to go to get a field goal. So there is a lot more thinking needed as opposed to the win the toss and try to get into field goal range mentality.

So what to do if you win the toss. If I am the Patriots, Packers or Saints, in other words high power offense with not so good defense, I take the ball. I am going to go for it on fourth down if I pass midfield, TD or bust. If I am a defense team, e.g., Ravens, Steelers, 49ers e.g., I play defense with the hope of stopping them and get a field goal to win. I would have done that If I coach the Bronchos, reasoning that I can't drive 80 yards, but if I am behind by a field goal, Tebow can march down the field with 4 downs at a time. It is like he had been doing most of the season in the 2 minutes offense, except now he does not have to do it in 2 minutes. Of course, you can also take the ball, throw a 80 yard TD and finish the game!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:28 AM

    I was in favor of the OT rule earlier but didn't realize that OT became sudden death after the first series by both teams. I kept yelling at Troy Aikman (during the OT game) who kept saying that the Giants should center the ball for the field goal and I kept thinking they needed to score a TD.

    I personally think they should continue the OT rule past the first series but I realize the game could go forever then. I guess there's really no good solution. I actually enjoy the college OT, which is pretty exciting, but it too is not perfect.

    I'm waiting for my congratulations since I picked the Giants to win it! Haha!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you deserve the bragging right. It is quite impressive to take the team with the worst record in the conference playoff field to win it all and have it actually happened. Congratulations. I can only lament the fact that if Welker, of all people, did not drop that pass, NE would have won. But that is how that goes, at least it is not a catch on the helmet that won it this time.

    I also like the college OT rule. The only thing is it does not have special team play and you are already in field goal range when you get the ball. I would have the same rule except each team would kick the ball from the 20, like after a safety and wherever you end up after the return that is where you start. So now you have special team play on each possession and if you are stopped, the other team can't just run 3 plays and kick a field goal like M did in the Sugar Bowl.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man