Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Saw a program on PBS last night about Detroit called Detropia.  Things still look very bleak even with the auto companies making good profit now.  It talked about mayor Dave Bing is trying to consolidate the city's population to a smaller area and try to use the rest of the land to start urban farming.  The program did not really talk about how these two things can be accomplished.  It seems to me people are not going to willingly move to another part of the city unless there is a benefit, like a tax rebate.  As Bing said, the city is broke so how is it going to pay people to move?  And how is this urban farming to going to work?  What do they do with the land in the winter when things don't grow with snow on the ground?  Are these programs still on the agenda?  All I know is that I don't want to be in Bing's shoes!

This program made me think about the fires in Bangladesh factories recently.  There has been a lot of calling by activists to stop manufacturing in Bangladesh and other countries where safety violations are rampant.  While that is well meaning, I am sure the people of Bangladesh and other countries don't want the manufacturing to stop.  People who are starving are willing to take whatever safety risks to feed their children.  The Mexicans are willing to risk dying to cross over to the U.S. to find a job.  So the people of Bangladesh are willing to work in unsafe factories.  We should demand that companies from the U.S. do a much better job of policing the factories that make their products.  But in reality we are not doing the impoverish people any favor by taking away their jobs.

The truth is there are more and more people competing for limited manufacturing jobs all over the world.  Detroit will not get significant number of jobs back.  The city will have reinvent itself.  But with the poor public education system, I am not sure how they are going to be able to train the next generation in other types of work.  This will not be limited to Detroit but to rest of America as well.  I can see where the gap between the rich and poor will widen.  If you are not educated enough to get a professional job, you will be stuck in the service economy.  The middle class will shrink.  Having said that, I am not a pessimist for America as a whole.  Most of America can avoid what happened to Detroit and other old cities. Will talk about that in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 AM

    I started to address the job situation you wrote about and found myself so conflicted that I erased everything.

    I wanted to address the Detopia program that you saw. I wish I had seen it. In fact, I looked at the guide that night to see what was on PBS and did not see it.

    As with any high profile political job, I don't understand why anyone would want the job. It's a thankless job and you're stuck in a no-win situation.

    That can't be more true than in Detroit where you have to work with a dwindling population, crime, and a poor economic situation.

    I wrote a while back at the difficulties that Bing had when he tried to balance the budget. He got bombarded from all over the place. Eventually, he couldn't turn things around and the governor appointed an Emergency Financial Manager.

    The EFM came in and now there are rumors that Detroit may go into Bankruptcy anyway.

    Things will only get worse before they get better in Detroit. That is a given. I agree that the manufacturing jobs won't come back to where they were in the past. However, we are starting to see a shift of outsourced work come back, due it being cost prohibitive to send work overseas now.

    To address your comment on the middle class shrinking. I definitely see that happening now. But who knows what will happen in the future. In Michigan, unemployment is down and economic indicators are positive. So we will see what happens.

    What are your thoughts on raising the minimum wage? I'm not a big fan of it and think it creates problems economically.

    One last thing about the urban farms: I didn't really understand how they worked and still don't. Though I assume that they are there to help feed the people and to give them a sense of ownership. Sounds great but as I always say, it takes one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us.

    So, I leave you with this small news item from today:

    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/animals-slaughtered-at-urban-farm-in-detroit-police-search-for-suspects

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am conflicted about the minimum wage. On the one hand, I don't think that raising the wage to match the rate of inflation will actually kill significant amount of jobs as the critics claimed. On the other hand, I don't think that the federal or even state government should be setting the wage standards. I think it should be at county or city level. Even in California, there is a big difference in the economy of one area to another. For example, it makes no sense to have the same minimum wage for San Francisco and some rural areas.

    That news item is very disturbing. I hope the kids are not too traumatized by this and that they catch the perpetrators soon! So if they start urban farming they will probably have to figure out how to protect the corns and animals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:40 PM

    Just when my cynicism takes over, here's an update on that urban farm.

    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/22498135/dog-attack-blamed-for-slaughter-of-farm-animals-at-detroit-school

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man