Sunday, February 15, 2015

Brian Williams has been suspended for 6 months by NBC for telling a false story of his helicopter being hit during the Iraq war.  Now more stories that he has put out there are under question.  It is a disturbing pattern with a person in such a powerful position when it comes to informing the public.  If it turns out he had lied about another story, then I think his career as an anchor and possibly as a serious journalist is over.

I never did like Brian Williams. I don't have problem with him going on lots of talk shows.  Even presidents do that.  But he tries to be the funny man whenever he goes to the shows.  And it is not just when he is outside of news coverage that he is trying to be funny.  In 1999 when the U.S. "accidentally" bombed the Chinese embassy in Belgrade, Williams said of the mistake "oops"".  When innocent people are killed, there is no room for jokes.  It showed an immature behavior for a person in such a serious profession.  Some people have joked or seriously mentioned that with Jon Stewart quitting the Daily Show, Williams should take over that role.  Frankly, if the accusations are accurate, Williams is too unrealistic for even fake news.   I think Jon Stewart has much more integrity as a comedian than Williams as an anchor of a network news organization.

Watched the third and fourth episodes of Fresh off the Boat.  I find these two episodes to be a lot better than the first two.  If it continues to be this funny, it deserve a renewal for next season..

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:50 AM

    I used to not like Williams until a few years ago. I like my anchors to have a bit of personality to them. Though I guess I'd rather they give me the actual news than something made up!

    The problem here, is that a lot of people like Williams. I think NBC was winning the nightly news ratings, so it would be hard for NBC to replace him permanently. I think this 6 month suspension is a trial run for Lester Holt who I like too.

    My guess is that if the ratings do well under Holt, that Williams will be fired or "reassigned" like they did with Anne Curry.

    I think had Williams just came out and told the truth that he over-embellished his story, he'd still be on the air. Also, he really screwed up by airing this thing where he honored the vet who was part of the mission. Had he or NBC had not done that, none of this would have been questioned.

    I am really trying to like FOTB. But I think I am watching it with biased eyes. I think if it were a show about Latinos, that I probably would not have kept watching. There are some decent jokes here and there. But it's not a great show. I haven't seen the ratings and am a little scared to look at them!

    One thing I learned is now I know why you got a perm in the 80's!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man