Sunday, November 22, 2015

I am going to comment on two subjects today.  It will be obvious after reading this blog today that you can see why I can never run for political office.  I would be crucified from the left and right because one side will disagree with me wholeheartedly on one subject and the other side will disagree with me on the other subject.

First subject is student protests in liberal schools over microaggression.  I am not talking about Missouri where there appears to be legitimate reasons for the protests and subsequent resignation of the president.  There is a history of discrimination there.  But in liberal schools the anger over microaggression is disturbing to me.  Of course being called the n word or Chinaman is very hurtful and those words should not be spoken in a college.  But now people are complaining about minor misspeak by white people.  The dean at Claremont college resigned after agreeing to help students "who don't fit our mold".  Now she obviously misspoke but I don't think she is racist by any means and she is probably a person who really wants to help minority students.  It is like a person gets upset if a white person ask where he is from.  I would answer Detroit to that question.  But if someone really wants to know my ethnicity, it is no big deal.  If someone says that I dance well for an old Chinese guy, I don't get all upset.  If I think he is really trying to say Chinese can't dance, I would enlighten him by telling him to look up Victor Fung, who maybe is the best male ballroom dancer in the world!  We can't get too sensitive and forget the big picture: to be treated fairly.  We should not get mad at others for being slightly insensitive or misspeak.

Now I want to thank the mayor in Virginia who brought up the interment of the Japanese when he talked about Syrian refugees.  Now this is not microaggression, this is racism.  There was no evidence of any treason acts by the Japanese Americans.  If fact the Japanese Americans were about the most decorated in WWII.  Using one of the black eye in our history to back up your discrimination now?  Wow!  In fact this type of thing is exactly what ISIS wants to happen.  Killing a few westerners does nothing for ISIS compare to the paranoia it causes us.  Acting scared and discriminatory will help the bad guys recruit more fighters in our own land and be much more dangerous than letting vetted refugees come in.  Somehow the people born in this country built by immigrants is afraid of immigrants.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 PM

    I'd vote for you. So at least you'd have one vote (maybe two if you remember to vote for yourself). I haven't really paid much attention to microaggression. I didn't realize it was a hot topic. And I also hadn't heard about the mayor in Virginia. The only thing I heard was that there were some governors that were trying to not let Syrian refugees in after what happened in Paris.

    To me, I think it shows ISIS that we are a better people by letting the refugees in. However, before I did this, I would make sure to do some kind of background check to make sure the people who enter, are ones that are not on a watchdog list. Also, anything that raises a red flag, I'd deny them admittance. It's just good policy. I don't think this happened in France because apparently, the terrorists supposedly used fake passports to get in.

    I did think about the Japanese Americans when I heard about states denying the refugees in. The only difference is that the Japanese Americans that were put in camps, were Americans. It's a little harder to think of the refugees as anything but foreigners.

    What do you think of letting refugees in, but putting them in camps? They would be safe but not able to freely move around the country?

    I heard from my friend who says that DWTS is coming down to the finals soon. He said that he believes that Bindy (is that right?) will win. It seems to me that they give Derek Hough an advantage every season. What do you think? I will try to watch some of it. However I'll be watching MSU basketball and NFL football tonight!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem to delay refugees for say a month. Obama can say we are going have the CIA come up with a vetting system during that time that will make it much less likely for non refugees to sneak in. I have problems with Rubio who say we can't let them in because there is no way to vet them. I would ask how can we possibly know if Cubans coming into Miami are not communists infiltrating the country? We sure cannot get any info from the Cuban government. Yet we have been safe from all the Cuban refugees all these years. I also heard about a religious test where we would only allow in Christians from Syria. Not only is that against our value of religious tolerance but if someone can pretend he is a refugee, I think he can also pretend he is a Christian!

    I would not put them in camps. I think that will eventually lead to resentment, particularly among the young people who can be easily radicalized. We are talking about 10,000 people, a small number compared with what a much smaller country like Germany is willing to take in. So I think we should just do the right thing and keep our initial promise.

    I think Bindi is the best and should win. It would be interesting to see how the military hero does. I think he is the only one who does not belong in the final based on dancing skills. But I bet he has a lot of people voting for him, so I would not be surprised if he finishes second. I know you will be glued to the set since this is your favorite show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:40 AM

    I think you are right regarding DWTS. From what my friend tells me, that's how he thinks the show will end. I will try to watch it, since I am sure you will be want to say something about it and I would like to be able to have the conversation!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  4. What was Turkey thinking, shooting down a Russian war plane? Even if it ignored warnings and was in Turkey airspace, shouldn't Turkey have fired a warning shot at least? If Obama had imposed a no fly zone in Syria, as some of his opponents suggested, something like that could have happened between the U.S. and Russian planes. And if that happened they would have blamed Obama for putting American forces in that position. I also think that Turkey would not have done that without knowing that NATO has no choice but to back it. Without NATO and U.S. backing, I think Putin would have retaliated and Turkey would have regretted it.

    So Bindi won DWTS and is well deserved. I am very impressed with her dancing skills and her personality. I am sure LBOAYM was glued to the set as there was no important sporting event on tonight unless you watched GS beating the Lakers to break the all time season opening winning streak. The suspense of both of these two events were about equal!

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man