Sunday, May 07, 2017

Last week the GOP was able to pass a bill to repeal and replace Obamacare.  Interesting picture of Trump declaring victory with many GOP Congressmen behind him.  They were all white males.  I am sure the Democrats will use that picture in coming elections.  They will also use the yes votes of GOP incumbents in contested districts against them. 

There is no point in going over the bill at this point.  All I will say that almost all nonpartisan analysts believe this bill is worse than Obamacare.  Of course this won't become law.  The Senate will not pass a bill exactly like this.  The GOP majority in the Senate is a lot slimmer and there are higher percentage of centrists among senators.   If they can pass a bill, it will then go to a conference committee with the House.  Can the Senate and House hammer out a compromise then?  I don't know but if they do, I doubt that the final bill will pass both the House and Senate again.  So I don't see those same white males standing behind Trump and declare victory again on Trumpcare.

I see the FCC is investigating Stephen Colbert for his remarks about Putin and Trump.  I did not hear the "joke" but I can't see him getting censored.  The show is at 11:30 p.m., well pass kids' bed time.  I am sure the words are beeped out so I don't see censoring being appropriate.  I do think some of the jokes by all comedians regarding acts of sodomy, size of sex organs etc. are pedestrian.  I have more respect for comedians who don't go to those kinds of jokes.  Most of the time Colbert does a good job of roasting Trump and since this has helped him increase his rating, I don't see him stop using Trump as a punching bag. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:39 AM

    Here's the video of the monologue. The controversial part comes near the end, but it's a good watch. I had only seen clips of the interview, so there's more. Now, in this video, they bleep out the offending word, which I'm not sure if it aired without the bleep originally.

    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/5/15564230/stephen-colbert-trump-insult-fcc-investigation-obscenity-laws

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I've seen the video, I kind of remember seeing the monologue but I was probably falling asleep so didn't remember much of it. I am sure the word was bleeped out on the broadcast. So I don't see why Colbert would be censored. Ironically he is getting heat from Trump supporters and some gays for what he said about Trump and Putin. So I guess politics make strange bedfellows!

    Does anyone remember the SNL skit about the president of China and Obama? The Chinese president was upset at the U.S. for not paying their debts. So he pulls down his pants and said something about if Obama wants to do this to him, then he would like to be kissed first. It seems to me that this is similar to Putin and Trump but I don't remember the FCC got involved in this.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man