Sunday, March 14, 2021

 One year ago yesterday was the first day that I started keeping track of COVID cases and deaths in the U.S.  At that time I thought I would be finished in a few months when the situation would be under control.  But a year later, I am still tracking the numbers and looking at the rise and fall of cases and deaths.   On March 13, 2020, there were 2,000 cases and 49 deaths in the U.S. related to COVID.  A national emergency was declared and all sports were shut down.  A year later the U.S. has over 30 million cases and over 540,000 deaths.  There is now optimism that the end maybe coming but I hope we don't let our guards down.

Yes, cases and deaths are declining.  Yes, vaccinations have been increasing and we may well have herd immunity by the summer.  Grandparents who has been vaccinated may hug their grandchildren again.  Biden thinks that we may have July 4th gatherings for bar-b-que this year.  But I am afraid these good news will cause people to be less careful.  I am afraid that people will carelessly gather on Memorial Day, even before July 4.  People may go on summer vacation in large numbers since they have been cooped up for a year.  What exactly will the impact of the new variants have on our immunity?

Some states have already opened up completely.  Texas have got rid of masks mandates.  The Texas Rangers will be allowed to have full capacity at their games.  Even here in California, with Governor Newsome under the pressure of a recall, is opening things up quickly.  High school sports have resumed.  Fall sports like football is joining winter sports now.  Even though with teachers getting vaccinated and protocol put in, I think the opening of schools will not be as safe as politicians acknowledge.  Italy is in lockdown again.  Despite the progress we have made, I have to cross my finger that we don't end up like Italy.  I think I said that last spring when Italy was the worst hit country.  Shortly after that, we overtook them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man