Thursday, June 05, 2008

Who should Obama pick as vp? Pros and cons of Clinton as vp has been dissected over tv and newspaper ad nauseum already. I am against it but if other people have the opposite opinion I can certainly understand it. Frankly I don't know who would be of any help to Obama in the election. I think it will be up to him to win the voters over in the swing states. At best a vp candidate from one of the swing states may help him at that particular state. He will win or lose the election on his own merit.

But having said that, who would I like to be vp? Joe Biden was my favorite to be president in the beginning so obviously I would like him to be vp. But since he got only about 0.5% of the votes while he was running he does not seem likely to be picked.

Anthony Zinni is a retired 4 star marine general who has diplomatic experience especially in the Middle East where he served as envoy to Israel and Palestine. He has written books and taught in colleges such as Duke (where he is now), VMI and Berkeley. He was a Republican at one time and voted for Bush in 2000. He called that one of the biggest mistakes in his life. He was a strong critic of going to war in Iraq from the beginning. This is from a man who had warned about terrorism especially the harboring of bin Laden by the Talibans before 2000. He understood the war would not make us safer. He warned about trusting Chalabi and other Iraqi expatriots who were leading us into the "Bay of Goats", a reference to the Bay of Pigs in the 60's. As a result of the Bush administration going to war in Iraq instead of finishing the job in Afghanistan, he left the party and has been an advisor to Obama in foreign affairs. I have seen him on tv and he is an excellent speaker who sounds very intelligent. His drawback is that he has never run for public office so there is no way to judge his ability on the campaign trail. He was born in Pennsylvania, a swing state, for what that is worth.

Jim Webb is a first term senator from Virgina so he has at least won political office before. Virginia is also a state that Obama would like to take from the Republicans and can possibly do it as he did great in the primary there. Webb is also a retired marine general who was a hero in Vietnam. He speaks fluent Vietnamese and is married to a Vietnamese woman who went to U. of Michigan law school. Like Zinni he has a son in the military. Webb's son returned from Iraq last year. Despite the loyalty he has for the military, Webb is totally against the war. He has teamed up with Obama to try to pass legislation to improve benefits for veterans.

Webb and Zinni are American military heroes who may help Obama with the people who question his "strength". Biden would help Obama with people who question his experience. Biden has never gotten much national support despite his experience. So who knows if any of these guys would do anything for Obama. I am just throwing out these 3 names because I believe these people are men of integrity and intelligence. They would never be elected president on their own but I rather that one of them be one heart beat to the presidency than the multitudes of politicians.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:48 PM

    I like your choices but I think they would be better suited for Secretary of State or Defense. I would like to see Bill Richardson but I think his ethnicity may be a negative especially going against McCain. Though I would suspect that he could pull some of the Southwest vote from McCain.

    Another choice might be John Edwards who has said that he is not a candidate, which means he is. I think Obama needs some votes from the south and he could be the guy. Plus he is popular with the women especially with his wife having cancer.

    Right now, Obama is in almost a no-win situation if he doesn't take Clinton with him. Some of her supporters have said that they'll vote for McCain if she isn't the candidate or chosen as a running mate. I would call their bluff on this, but it could also cost him the election.

    The Oprah factor may cancel things out if he doesn't choose Clinton or even a woman.

    McCain might be able to capitalize on this if he picks Rice as his running mate.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you can have two minorities on the same ticket. Besides, Richardson is not that good. Edwards couldn't carry N. Carolina last time so I don't think he would be any help.

    As I expected Clinton tries to be the gracious loser and sets herself up for future races. I think most of her supporters will support Obama anyway. When McCain was about to win, conservatives say that they would rather vote for Clinton instead. Ann Coulter was one such pundit. But you don't hear any conservatives saying that they would vote for Obama instead of McCain now. Ultimately the party line will prevail and it will come down to independents in the toss up states. So you need someone who will get you one toss up state. I don't know who that is yet in either party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:19 AM

    You make a good point on Edwards and N. Carolina. I still think he has some value and I think that he can help in the south. Looks like Florida is going to be another factor. Could McCain's age actually help him there? I don't know of any politicians that would help Obama there, though it's still considered a swing state.

    I also heard that New Mexico could be another of those swing states and Richardson could help. But I do agree that another minority would not be an ideal situation. I would think though at some point that the Latino vote could be a major factor in the south states. Can we assume that they're able to vote?

    I can't imagine Obama picking someone who, like himself is from the midwest, which leaves someone from Ohio, Michigan and Wisconsin out.

    So you figure he should pick someone from the south or southwest.

    I haven't heard much about Pennsylvania as a swing state, but what about Arlen Spectre. He's a pretty moderate guy with lots of experience. I don't know if the NFL scandal is actually helping him or not, but it's getting him in the news.

    Who do you think McCain's going to pick? Can he mend fences with Romney or Huckabee? I stil think Condy Rice is a viable candidate, though I'm not a big fan of hers. She could do some damage. Then again she's one heartbeat away from the oval office!

    Who else is out there? I guess we'll find out soon.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man