Thursday, September 10, 2009

I don't think Obama's speech is going to change any minds. He knows that he will not get any support from any Republicans and is just trying to get more public support and keep the liberal and conservative Democrats from fighting each other. He will improve his approval rating on healthcare as a result of the speech for a few days. This won't last and he will have to push quickly for the House and Senate to push bills through and then reconcile the difference between the more liberal House bill and the more conservative Senate bill in conference committee. This is why he refuses to come out totally for or against the public option. This gives him the flexibility to accept whatever comes out of the conference committee.

Personally I don't think healthcare reform is going to make much difference if there is no public option. Without it I think premiums will keep rising and we will have to revisit the problem in the near future. But I think at this point Obama will accept any bill and declare victory and move on. If there was any victory for Obama yesterday it was thanks to the Republicans. Their response speech was weak and the crazy guy who called Obama a liar probably helped the Democrats more than Obama's speech.

As a side note , I predict that Ohio State will beat USC on Saturday. I think USC is over confident, the game is in Columbus, and USC has a freshman qb who was not tested in the first game. I think OSU will stack the line to stop the run and hope that Barkley makes mistakes. On offense I think Pryor will give USC problems just as Vince Young did a few years ago.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:16 PM

    I haven't had much to add to this discussion since I don't know a whole lot about this. It seems to me that we need reform. Will reform without a public option do the trick? I guess it depends on the reform but everything I've seen does not do enough if there is no public option.

    I think the Obama adminstration was over confident that they could get a bill pushed easily and I don't think it could have predicted the intensity of the opposition.

    I think that it would've been better to have compromised and come up with a bill that creates some reform so as to not shock the people. If they could do this gradually it might have worked.

    It looks as though that the administration is trying to go "all in" on this issue, so whatever happens, it'll be a homerun or a huge fail.

    I was skeptical of Obama making a speech but maybe it helped changed peoples minds. I do think that the representative who heckled Obama has actually helped the cause, though I heard that he's raised a ton of money the last few days because of his heckling.

    As far as USC vs. OSU? I am picking USC. I think it'll be a close game. The problem is that Pryor does not pass well (Vince Young was a better passer) and they don't have a proven running back. I think SC will stack the box and contain Pryor and make him beat them with his arm.

    USC's speed will help negate what OSU wants to do on offense.

    The question now is can USC move the ball on OSU. OSU's defense is average and if the freshman QB plays steady, they'll be OK.

    Victory for Troy.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought I would get a comment by making a wild prediction on football! Obviously USC is the better team. But better team doesn't always win as they lost to OSU last year. That is Oregon State which is an inferior team than Ohio State. And last year USC had Mark Sanchez, a first round draft choice at qb. I have seen Matt Barkley in high school games on tv. As a junior he was national player of the year because his team was good. As a senior his team was much worse and he couldn't rally them when they got behind. So I think he can be rattled by a good defense. I don't know much about Pryor but at least he has one year under his belt. They key is the running game. Oregon state controlled the clock with good running and if Ohio State can do that I think Barkley will choke. I maybe way off base but then I would be in same boat as Lou Holtz who predicted that Florida will UPSET Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:08 AM

    Barkley looked pretty poised at the end of the game. You can see what I'm talking about with Pryor. He has raw skills and is just a beast but I don't think he reads coverages well and I'm still not impressed with his passing, especially against fast teams.

    Without going into my team's failure over the weekend, did you watch the U-M/ND game? Forcier showed a lot of poise and they're really surprising me. The problem is that I have no idea if Western Michigan or ND are any good. I guess I'll get a better gauge of ND after this weekend, but Claussen looked pretty good (which could be indicative of Michigan's defense). Gotta love college football!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man