Monday, December 06, 2010

As all you faithful readers may remember, last year I amazingly predicted that Big Ten teams would go 4-3 in the bowl season. This easily defeated the LA Times college reporter who predicted that the Big Ten would go 0-7. While one of you thought that I should have gotten all the games correctly, I say that it is the total number of wins that matter. So I am back to do the 4 F's, ie the fantastic, fearless football forecast.

Before I start, I must mention that Mich State got robbed by not getting to the Rose Bowl. I understand the voters and computers may think that Wisconsin and Ohio State are better, but in head to head to head competition, MSU wins 1-0 vs 1-1 for Wisconsin and 0-1 for Ohio State. It is not MSU's fault that they don't play Ohio State, so I think using the BCS to decide is unfair.

This year I am pessimistic about the Big Ten's chances. I don't like most of the matchups and I think they can easily go 0-7. Of course with parity now, they can also go 7-0. I will predict that they will go 3-4 with a lot of close game. Here are the individual game predictions:

1. Missouri over Iowa. Iowa collapsed at the end so I will give MO a slight edge.
2. Illinois over Baylor. Illinois is no good and they are playing in Texas, but Baylor hasn't gone a bowl game in 1000 years I think, so they will choke.
3. Texas Tech over Northwestern. The real prediction here is that the total number of points of the game will be over 80, over 100 if they go into OT.
4. Alabama over MSU. MSU should have been in the Rose Bowl but they actually got the toughest opponent for all the Big Ten teams. Alabama should have beat Auburn so I don't think MSU has much of a chance here.
5. Florida over Penn State. Florida missed Tebow badly but they don't need a good qb against Penn State. Paterno is over the hill.
6. Miss. State over Michigan. Michigan can't beat any good team with the defense they got. At least this will give their 3 freshmen dbs a chance to play more.
7. Wisconsin over TCU. Wisconsin is on a roll and I don't think that TCU is as good as Boise State although that does not matter.
8. Ohio State over Arkansas. Ohio State already faced Ryan Mallet before when he was at Michigan so they won't be afraid of him.

So I will comment on the results after the Sugar Bowl.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:27 PM

    Here are my predictions for the upcoming Big Ten bowl season. I am surprised you are not including your Pac Ten predictions, especially since you're in Pac Ten country!

    Iowa over Missouri. It was understandable for Iowa to lose so late in the season when it was clear that they would not go the Rose Bowl. Iowa is a talented team, and Missouri is really not that good.

    Baylor over Illinois. I really like the "home" field advantage for Baylor and Illinois has not played well on the road.

    Texas Tech over Northwestern. The Wildcats lost their starting QB and I think Tech being so close to home will help.

    Alabama over MSU. It pains me to say this, and I hope they prove me wrong. Alabama has the edge in talent but MSU has a chip on its shoulder and wants to prove the nation wrong. I hope to see MSU's best effort of the season on Jan. 1.

    Florida over Penn State. I am hesitant to pick the Gators here since Urban Meyer is gone. This could be a distraction, but I don't think Penn State is good enough on offense to beat UF.

    Michigan over Miss. State. Though they've had trouble beating MSU over the last 3 years, this is a different MSU. I am interested to see if Miss. State is able to handle Robinson, since the Bulldogs have a very good run defense. This has the look of a game in the 30's. Whoever has the ball last will win it.

    Wisconsin over TCU. TCU has been impressive, but I think they haven't really played anyone either. Wisconsin will control the game and wear them down.

    OSU over Arkansas. I personally think that OSU is the best team in the Big Ten and Arkansas is an above average team. Mallet has not seen a defense as good as OSU's.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it looks like we agree on 4 out of 7. Iowa vs MO, Illinois vs Baylor to me are both toss ups. So I have no argument with you picking the opposite of me in these two games. As far as M vs Miss. State, I think you are just trying to jinx me. If somehow M can win this one, maybe it will go back to the old trend of beating MSUs.

    I don't care about the Pac 10 since Cal and UCLA are terrible. I will stick out my neck and take Oregon and Stanford to win. I am impressed by these two. Everybody else in Pac 10 will lose. (I don't even remember who else is in bowl games or who they are playing.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:13 AM

    Well, Iowa will be without their top three RBs now, so I might have to change my mind! But in the interest of sportsmanship and keeping it an odd number, I'll keep Iowa, though their chances of winning now have taken a hit. Also, their top receiver is probably going to be suspended!

    I am interested to see how Oregon does against Auburn. I've been very impressed with Oregon and I think that they will have the edge, especially with the game being on the West Coast.

    Very impressed with Stanford as well, but I don't know if it's the result of a weaker Pac Ten or if they're really that good. Plus they play a Big Ten style which the teams are not used to. Similar to the spread attack being used in the Big Ten.

    I don't think VT is any good, so I'll take the Cardinal as well.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man