Sunday, November 03, 2013

The Supreme Court is taking a case of city council prayer from Greece, New York.  The question is can someone in a government meeting pray to a particular god or religion.  A Jewish person and an atheist brought suit against the town for invoking Jesus in the prayers.  There is a good chance that the Court will side with the city on this one.  I do not have a religious preference and I don't care how others pray.  But if the conservative majority on the Court say that a city does not have to be neutral in its prayers, I think it will be a blow to the separation of church and state.  I can see a day when the Muslim majority in a city like Dearborn, Michigan invoke Islamic prayers to open council meetings.  How about a town with Jewish majority or Buddhist majority?  I think keeping prayers neutral is less divisive in the future.

I read that Detroit maybe electing the first white mayor since the 1970s.  I don't know anything about this Mike Duggan who is well ahead in the polls.  I doubt that anyone can turn Detroit around in the near future but if someone can do it, I don't care if he is black, white or purple.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 AM

    I've been too busy to reply back to your blog. Just an update. Mike Duggan, the white candidate for mayor of Detroit, won last night. He'll be the first white mayor in 40 years.

    It says a lot when a white candidate wins in Detroit, where it's supposed to be 80% black. I'd like to know if they were able to break down the voter race. Maybe the black voters decided not to come out to the polls.

    Though Duggan was very popular and outspent Bennie Napolean, by a huge margin. So who knows what would have happened if the spending were equal.

    As far as the case out of Greece, I'm not really a huge fan of any kind of prayer in a government meeting. But I think we have to understand that we live in a mostly Christian society and that these things are going to happen. You are right to bring up the other religions. It would be interesting to see what happens.

    I know that people are appalled that there is Spanish being spoken in areas that are Hispanic-dominated.

    Surprised that you never gave a prediction to the MSU-UM game or any thoughts after. You must be depressed!

    Speaking of sports. The Tigers hired Brad Ausmus as the next manager. It's a risky move, and all I can say is that time will tell. He's supposedly a high IQ guy that was a finalist for the Red Sox job. With a talented roster, I think it'll be an easier transition for him. He's just gotta deal with the egos.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that Duggan was endorsed by the Black Panther! I am surprised that at least 2 people wanted the job of mayor of Detroit! If he can turn around the city he should be president.

    I did not make any prediction before the MSU-UM game because I expected the outcome that actually happened. If M cannot dominate the line of scrimmage against PSU, Connecticut and Indiana, they had no chance against he lines of MSU. And in a rivalry game the team with the stronger lines win 90% of the time. So I did not want to predict a MSU win before the game and had no reason to comment afterward. I am not too depressed since after PSU and Indiana I did not think this team will do well rest of the way. The question for MSU is that do they have enough offense to beat OSU?

    I don't know anything about Brad Ausmus but a local writer here wrote yesterday that he thought Ausmus was an excellent choice for the Tigers because during the times that he spent as a coach in LA, he was always the smartest guy in the room. I hope this writer is correct although intelligence is not necessary the most important thing of a manager as you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man