Sunday, June 08, 2014

A few follow ups today.  First, Donald Sterling is going to sell his team for $2billion.  As they say the rich gets richer even if they are not good people.  He made out better than McCourt did when he sold the Dodgers.  But unlike McCourt, who took his money and faded from the public, Sterling still cares what people think of him.  All those ads touting his charity contributions were designed to make himself look good to the public.  So was his rambling attempt to defend himself on CNN.  But no matter how much money he accumulates, he will never be fondly remembered by the people.  So he would fail at the one thing he wanted: adoration from the public.

Neel Kashkari did beat out Tim Donnelly for second place in the California gubernatorial open primary.  So he gets the distinction of losing to Jerry Brown in November.  I am not sure why he tried to win this impossible race and spend a lot of his own money.  I think the GOP in California is relieved that a moderate is going on the ballot instead of the tea party Donnelley.  They helped Kashkari, I think, because if Donnelley is on the top of the ballot in November, it would drive away moderate Republicans and independents who may vote for Republicans in elections that are winnable.  They would not win much anyway but with Kashkari, maybe they win some of the close races.

The U.S. did win all three of the send away games before Brazil.  They looked pretty good without Donovan and the German Americans that Klinnsman kept on the team maybe helpful.  (Except for Julian Green, who is too young to be on such a big stage).  With Ronaldo's fitness in question, maybe we can get out of the group of death.  But I still rather have Donovan in there.

I am rooting for the Spurs.  But all those people who were making fun of Lebron for getting cramps during the first game were not being fair.  Some people even said that he should have stayed in.  People like James, Kobe, and Jordan would play in serious pain and nobody should ever doubt their injury.  As expected James came back today and helped the Heat even the series.  I hope the Spurs win the series but I don't want it being decided by an injury.

Can't anyone be a decent closer once they go to Detroit?  I can't remember a decent closer in recent years on the Tigers.  Saw Al Kaline on the ESPN telecasts tonight.  He still looks good and is as humble as always.  Too bad he can't pitch.  Is Willy Hernandez or Fred Gladding still alive?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:58 AM

    You sure wrote a lot this week. The one thing I'm surprised you haven't chimed in on was the Bergdahl hostage trade.

    The whole thing doesn't seem right. I am hoping there is more to the story than the government is letting on, because exchanging him for 5 GITMO prisoners is a little weird.

    I don't think Sterling will ever be able to help his reputation, unless he dies and leaves most of his fortune to the needy. It's almost too bad because he was set up. But he does have a history, and maybe this is Karma coming back.

    Looks like the Kashkari nomination is a play for a future race. Maybe this will put him in the limelight and he can increase his poll numbers for the next race. It will be interesting to see how much money is spent for his campaign.

    I thought the soccer team looked OK. It's hard to tell with these send away games. You mention Julian Green, who I guess has a ton of potential. I don't know if he's as good as Donovan right now, so the only reason I see Klinnsman playing him is politics.

    I was surprised to see Altidore score a couple of goals. He has a huge role on the team, but has been hurt and not playing anywhere close to his potential. I am still not convinced he is back to 100%. I guess we'll see in the first round. The goals he had the other day were pretty easy.

    I rooted for the Spurs last year. And I am not rooting for them this year. Ganobli drives me crazy. He is so streaky and takes some of the most stupid shots at the worst times. I don't know why he even plays during crunch time. He thinks he's LeBron sometimes.

    Speaking of LeBron, cramps immobilize you. So, I didn't agree with all the people who said he needed to be tougher. Obviously those people never had cramps before. Now, I am not a LeBron fan, and I think he's a prima donna. But I do think he's the best player right now.

    I picked Miami to win it all a few months back on your blog and will not be changing my pick!

    As far as the Tigers go, it's not just their closer that stinks. The whole bullpen has been horrible all year. I feel bad for Sanchez who has pitched some gems this year only to have a no decision because the bullpen gave up the lead.

    As far as last night goes, I don't understand how you can pitch a fastball down the middle to Big Pappi. Should never happen.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of writing on Bergdhal. But I decided to see if anything else come out on that. Maybe topic for next week.

    I think Klinsmann gave Green a spot to lock him up for 2018 since he can join the German team in the future instead. But he may not become a great player. Just look at Adu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:41 PM

    I thought this column was right on with PR on the Bergdahl press conference:

    http://www.odwyerpr.com/story/public/2550/2014-06-09/obamas-real-bergdahl-problem-tone-deaf-pr.html

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man