Sunday, June 22, 2014

Obama is sending "advisers" to Iraq.  I hope they are not the type of advisers Kennedy sent to Vietnam.  Those advisers became a big military operation.  I trust that this will not happen.  But you never know.  As Vietnam proved, supporting a brutal dictatorship will not be successful even if the enemy of that dictatorship is a worse alternative.  So unless Obama can convince Maliki to change his way and bring the Sunnis into the government, the "advisers" we are sending will be of no value.

The U.S. was 30 seconds away from clinching a spot in the second round of the World Cup today.  I don't know how they allowed that last goal.  Shouldn't they all be back in the box to defend?  Even though we are still likely to advance, a crazy scenario is now possible.  If Germany and the U.S. ties both will advance regardless what Ghana and Portugal do.  Klinsmann is German and the German coach is his good friend.  If Germany and the U.S. play to a listless 0-0 tie, I will bet that there will be an uproar about an agreement between the two teams before hand!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:52 AM

    I have no idea what the right solution is for Iraq. I don't know if letting the situation play out is the right thing or if intervention is.

    Do we want to risk American lives? In a way, I feel like we are responsible for the welfare of the Iraqis because of the recent gulf war. We almost left them vulnerable.

    At the same time, you have to let them deal with their own problems. I don't know if diplomacy works in this case, so we'll see if sending advisers will help. At this point, I am not optimistic.

    That US/Portugal game was a heartbreaker. I was at a local gathering place and the silence was deafening when the tying goal went in.

    I don't know how they will come back on Thursday against a very good German team.

    I still like our chances of going to the knockout round. But we are going to need help. I think we pretty much have to root for Portugal to beat Ghana in a low scoring match.

    It's too bad because I really like Ghana. I like their style of play but I like the US a lot more!

    The Tigers are back! Well, for a weekend they were. Wake me up in September when it all counts!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man