Sunday, July 13, 2014

Due to too much time spent on monitoring the NBA free agent deals and watching the end of the World Cup, I have not looked into Hobby Lobby case carefully as promised.  So let me just make two quick points and see if there are specific questions out there.  It appears from what I read that there are other ways for woman to obtain contraceptives other than directly from employer health plan.  But again I don't see how corporations can be same as people.  Isn't a major reason an owner incorporates his business is to separate his personal liability from the liability of the business?  So for example, if a business is sued and loses, the owner is liable only for his investment in the business if it is incorporated.  So that same owner is claiming that the corporation is same as him now?   If a corporation is owned by someone whose religion forbids treatment by medical doctors, can it then refuse health coverage altogether?

Great news out of the NBA is that Jeremy Lin is coming to LA!  So now I can follow my favorite player all season!  Also it is great for him to get out of Houston where he is basically told to stand in the corner while James Harden run the offense.  I only wish that D'Antonio had not resigned so that he and Lin could have reunited.  D'Antonio's offense system work best with a point guard in charge and is best for Lin.  The new coach may very well let Kobe Bryant run the offense.  But at his age and coming off two major injuries, Bryant cannot carry a team anymore and I think he would welcome someone who can lighten the load for him.  Plus there is no guarantee that he and Nash will last the whole season.  Finally, the chance to learn from Nash will be of great value for Lin.  So I think this will work out much better for Lin than the last two seasons in Houston.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:59 AM

    I was really happy to see Lin go to the Lakers. I may be a Laker fan again. I thought the Lakers got a great deal, with getting 2 picks in addition to Lin. I

    I was going to write about the disrespect that Lin received in Houston when they put up a picture of Carmello in the number 7 jersey.

    You don't do that kind of stuff when you have a player currently on the roster.

    I didn't realize D'Antoni resigned. Maybe he would have stayed if he knew Lin was coming. Though maybe he was forced out. I haven't been too pleased with the way the organization has been run.

    They should have given the reigns over to Phil Jackson. I understand that you have to keep Kobe. But they've over paid on every free agent it seems and they're over paying Kobe.

    It'll be interesting to see how they do without Gasol too. Not sure what kind of inside presence they have now.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rockets really screwed up. They did not get Lebron, Melo or Bosh. They lost Lin, Asik, Parsons plus draft choices. They only signed Ariza who is an older version of Parsons. So it is great that Lin got out that organization.

    The Lakers refused to extend D'Antonio beyond this coming season because they didn't know who will be joining the team. D'Antonio wanted an extra year so he can fully implement his system. I think if they both knew they can get Lin and not say Melo, maybe D'Antonio would have stayed.

    The Lakers have Jordan Hill who is pretty good inside but is still untested. Hopefully Julius Randall will be better than expected. Their second round pick, Jordan Clarkson is half filipino. So that means the Lakers have two Asian Americans on the team! So far Clarkson has led the Lakers in scoring in the summer league. Maybe he can be a good backup to Kobe at shooting guard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:23 AM

    Yeah, I heard that Clarkson is half Filipino. I thought the Lakers got a steal when they drafted Randall. He was one of my favorite players to watch last year. He reminds me of Zach Randolph. Not the tallest guy, but with good feet and the ability to score in the post.

    I am not convinced that Byron Scott will be a good coach. Though I fully backed hiring him for the Cleveland job 4 years ago. I don't know who else the Lakers could bring in. Maybe the other Van Gundy brother?

    As you may remember, I am not a big fan of re-treads and I don't know how any of the Van Gundys keep getting jobs, but in this case, maybe he would fit the culture there.

    Speaking of Van Gundy. Did you see that the Pistons picked up Jodie Meeks? They way over paid for him, but he supposedly was a very good shooter last year. The Pistons are trying to sign a bunch of shooters, which I think maybe be a good move. It seems that the game of basketball is moving towards that way, with the shortage of post players.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man