Sunday, September 21, 2014

Scotland voted to stay in the U.K.  That was not too surprising even though the polls were very close.  I don't think there is much animosity between England and Scotland for the separation to occur.  It is not as if the Scots were suffering under the British flag.  Having won concession for more self rule from Cameron, I think it was best not to split up.

The problem now for Cameron is to back up his promises.  There will be people in his own party who do not support the concessions.  But if he goes back on his words, then there will again be calls for separation.  But if the concessions are given, are we going see demands from Wales, Northern Ireland and even England to have more self rule from the U.K.?  I would think that Northern Ireland has less attachment to the U.K. than Scotland.  So having avoided one crisis, Cameron and future prime ministers may face more in the future.

Canada, Spain, China and Turkey all root for Scotland to vote against independence.  Quebec has had 2 referendums for breaking away and the last one lost by 2 % points.  So if Scotland had voted yes, the Quebec separatist movement would have pushed hard for a future vote again.  In Spain, if the vote is allowed, Catalonia will probably vote to leave Spain.  With the Scotland vote, the Catalonia momentum is stalled a bit.  But I think in the near future, Spain will have to allow the vote.  By not allowing the vote, the anger will grow.  Of course, China does not care about anger in Xinjiang and Tibet and no vote will be allowed.  Nor will Turkey allow a vote for Kurdistan independence, although if ISIS continues to grow, perhaps Turkey would like to have Kurdistan as a buffer zone between its border with Iraq and Syria.  So stay tune for more demands for independence in different areas of the world.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:32 AM

    I was a little shocked at how passionate both sides were about the separation. You would think that after all this time, that people would be indifferent.

    You are right, I can see Northern Ireland having more of a beef, since they are not connected by land. However, there was/is some major differences between Ireland and Northern Ireland. I think that if Northern Ireland were ever to leave the UK, it would at first have to merge with Ireland and become one nation.

    Did you ever hear about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan wanting to separate from the Lower Peninsula? There was a group within the last 10 years that tried to get people to vote on this. They were going to call the new state Superior.

    I always thought that Puerto Rico would become the 51st state, not the UP of Michigan!

    I found it interesting that Syria gave the OK for our missiles to hit ISIS targets. Haven't heard much this morning if any civilians were killed.

    I hope we keep getting cooperation from Syria. I don't think we want to start a war with it. Apparently, there was another group in Syria that we targeted too. Man, there are a lot of terrorist groups!

    I caught some of DWTS, and maintain that Alfonzo will win it. My second choice would be Janel, who has a great attitude, which will be needed with Val.

    The Tigers left an opening for the Royals but I think both of the teams will make the playoffs. The Tigers need to win the division to face a hurt Baltimore club.

    I am anxious to see how David Price does tonight. He has not pitched well since being traded. Tonight's game will tell a lot, I think.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, N. Ireland have Catholics and Protestants. The Catholics would like to be part of Catholic Ireland but the Protestants want to stay with U.K. Thus all the violence over the years. With peace finally achieved I don't think that N. Ireland will break away but they certainly may ask for more independence from London.

    I heard of the separatists movement in Michigan a while back. Is it realistic? Here in California some people are trying to divide it into several states. It would help the Republicans since there are counties where they are more like Wyoming than S.F. or L.A. If some of them became states, it would mean several more conservatives in the U.S. senate. I don't think this will fly but you never know.

    I thought we only told the Syrians that we are attacking but did not ask for permission. In fact I heard on Fox News that they took out the Syrian defense system so they would not know exactly when was the attack. I only caught the last part of this report when I tuned in to see what they had to say about the attack. So don't quote me. Interestingly, they questioned the legality of the attack since we are not at war with Syria and ISIS had not attack us. Hmm, I wonder what they said when the Republicans chastised Obama for not doing anything before.

    Waltrip should have been out instead of Tavis. Of course, nobody ever watches Tavis on PBS so I am not surprised.

    The Price was almost right tonight. I would have started him in the ninth although with first and third and score 3-2 I would have made the change. He was obviously running out of gas although he has pitched over 120 pitches in the past. I guess there is not good solutions to the end games for the Tigers. They were lucky to pull it out tonight. Hope they can hang on to the division because they have a lot better chance with their starters over a long series rather than a one game sudden death.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man