Monday, March 09, 2015

Was away during the weekend.  Trying to catch up with the news today and found about the U. of Oklahoma racist video.  I was a little shock that in 2015 that college educated people would still think nothing of saying these sickening things.  Then I realize that I would be naive if I don't think that this happens behind closed doors in college campuses everywhere.  It just happens that this time somebody who is appalled by this is able to send out a video recording to the public.  I think most people believe that with each succeeding generation, racism decreases.  But despite being more diverse than previous generations, I think the young people of today maybe no better or even worse than last couple of generations when it comes to racism.

I think there is a perception among young people today that economically they will go backward compared to their parents.  White males still make the most money compare to others with the same education.  It is just that a college educated white male have to battle with females and males of other races for a job that would have gone to a white male before.  There is a perception that Asians are getting the top college spots, not realizing that Asians actually get less spots than their credentials would indicate.  (more on that in the future)  There is also the perception that minorities are taking jobs away from whites through affirmative action.  Add to that the rants from conservatives about our black president and you can see why young naive people can become racist.  I don't know if any of this apply to the U.of OK video but I will not be surprised if more of this goes on behind closed doors on campuses today than in the past 20 years.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM

    I didn't even hear about the OU video until reading your blog. I think that social media is bringing these things to the public more easily. I agree with you that racism decreases with each generation but we hear about these types of cases through social media. We also hear more about extremists because of social media. It's a smaller world out there now.

    Just think of the effectiveness of a group like ISIS without social media. Probably not as potent of a message with videos that go viral. It helps in their terror and recruiting.

    I think that the actions by the university and the outrage may encourage people who are ignorant about race to be more tolerant. At the same time, if you are raised ignorant and racist, it's hard to change those belief systems.

    I don't know if everyone associated with the fraternity is racist, but when you get a group of guys who tape a rant, it's like a mob mentality. And being young and stupid, I don't think these kids thought they would be caught.

    It'll be a big life lesson for these kids and I hope that they will become better humans for it.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man