Sunday, June 05, 2016

I am not a fan of boxing but somehow Ali, who died this week, was the first athlete other than C.K Yang that I remembered.  The first I heard of Ali was when he was still Cassius Clay.  I remembered hearing over the radio in Hong Kong that a man called "Strange Luck", the translation of Clay in Chinese had beaten Liston whose name started with the Chinese sounding name Li.  I did not know the significant of that bout only that it was big news in Hong Kong. 

The next I heard of Ali was when I had already migrated to the U.S. and this man was defying the U.S. government and refusing to go into the army.  I thought at the time he was a bad guy for refusing to serve his country.  Even years later after I began to have doubts about the Vietnam war, I still thought he was a coward.  I thought this because by that time I was old enough to register for the draft.  All I knew then was that I was too chicken to fight.  I thought Ali probably thought the same as me.  So this religious objection was just a way to justify his fear of going to war.  Of course I was chicken both ways.  I didn't want to go but I was too chicken to protest, fearing people will call me a coward and disloyal.  So I registered.  But if my number had come up, I would have gone to college, medical school and get as many deferment as I can.  The war ended before I was drafted, but I certainly was not brave.  Was Ali brave.? Well, people say he was.  It is hard to say but he was braver than me in that he was willing to take a stand.

I remember his fights with Frazier.  I always felt that he went over the line with his trash talk against Frazier.  So even though I liked Ali's style a lot better than Frazier's, I was neutral in their fights.  Then in 1974, I thought Foreman was going to destroyed Ali.  But I remembered standing in a lounge in my college dorm that night when about ten black students running into the lounge, shouting that Ali had won.  Since Foreman is also black, I was very surprised by the reaction.  I began to understand that Ali was not just a boxer, but a cultural icon.

As with all famous people who died, tributes are pouring in.  The Greatest Of All Time, is the most frequent description of Ali.  I am not sure he was the GOAT in boxing.  One can argue for Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano as well.  Interestingly enough they did two computer analysis of Marciano fighting Ali many years ago.  One was done in the U.S. and one in the UK.  At that time, white establishment was still weary of Ali in the U.S.  The results:  Marciano won in the U.S. and Ali won in the UK.  But certainly among world wide sports figures in my lifetime, only Pele maybe more well known throughout the world than Ali.

I always thought that Ali as a young man was too brash.  Unlike MLK, I don't think he was much help for the civil right movement by aligning  with the Nation of Islam.  I did not consider him a role model.  But as he got older, he came across as a kinder and gentler soul.  He was also courageous in his fight against Parkinson.  We like to think of our heroes as perfect or superhuman.  They never are.  Ali was not perfect or superhuman.  But he was a great athlete who was also loquacious.  He was a great cultural icon and he made us think.  Rest in peace, Champ.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:10 AM

    I didn't realize a non citizen had to register for the draft. I remember when I had to sign up for selective service and wondered if I would go to Canada or go to war. I think I would have gone to war. The cold war had ended after I had signed up but a few years later, the first gulf war started.

    What it might have come down to is if I believed in what we were doing. Lucky for me, I never had to make that decision. I have a great deal of respect for those who fight. I don't like war and prefer peace, but it's a necessary evil and I want competent personnel who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice on my side.

    As far as Ali goes, like many sports things in my life, my brother was the one who introduced me to him and boxing. I vaguely remember the Leon Spinks fight where Ali lost. I remember watching it on TV, but don't know if it was live or a replay.

    I was never a huge fan of the trash talking when I was younger. It still makes me cringe a bit, but now that I am older, I can see it and laugh. Especially the stuff with Howard Cosell. It was a show. Kind of how I view Don Rickles now.

    I will say that the era that Ali fought in was a great time to watch heavyweight boxing. To me, that division is not watchable these days. In fact, I don't even watch boxing anymore. But it seems to me that I really enjoyed watching boxing in the late 70's to the late 80's most.

    Maybe you can answer this, but since Ali was Muslim, I thought there were certain burial customs that should occur soon after death. It seems to me that he won't be buried for at least a week after his death.

    I got to watch most of games 1 and 2 of the NBA finals. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Cleveland. The Golden State bench is outplaying Cleveland's. Of course, it helps that Draymond Green is doing a great job on both ends of the floor while Curry is struggling!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are happy to draft permanent residents to fight in a war! I think if it is a war I believed in, I would go. But by the time I was in college, I was against the war. So I am just glad that I was not drafted.

    I enjoyed the back and forth between Cosell and Ali. But I did have problems with Ali calling Frazier a gorilla and uncle Tom. I know some of it is just theatrical to sell more tickets. But I think those two terms went too far. You are right that after maybe Larry Holmes, the heavy weight division really was not worth watching. I think part of the reason is that football and basketball became so popular and lucrative that all the big good athletes went into those sports. So there are few good big men who would even consider boxing. If the NBA was still paying less than $100,000 per season as in the 1970s, LeBron, Barkley or Karl Malone maybe heavy weight champions!

    Don't know anything about Muslim funeral customs. But Ali supposedly decided on his funeral arrangement ahead of time.

    It seems to me Draymond didn't play well against OKC so that is why they almost lost. Now Draymond is playing well and the bench is magnificent, GS is winning easily. Things can change fast so will see what happens in Cleveland. But it seems to me Cleveland is trying to play small ball against GS and there is no way they can win that way. OKC played bigger against GS and was more successful. Cleveland shot so well from three point line in the first three series, they think they can outshoot GS. They may do that in one or two games but not in a 7 game series.

    If Trump say that a Mexican American judge can't be impartial, then by that theory, no minority will get a fair trial from a white judge! What an idiot! Trump is running for the presidency of the U.S. and he is crying that a judge is unfair against him in a private lawsuit? Even Newt Gingrich is against him on this.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man