Sunday, June 12, 2016

The biggest mass shooting in U.S. history 0ccured today, killing 50 people.  This appears to be a lone wolf attack.  This is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to prevent.  There will be a lot of finger pointing:  against the FBI for investigating him but not watching him, how he got access to so many weapons, and of course the GOP will blame Obama.  But really, with so many possible suspects, so many people with mental health issues, such easy access to assault weapons and internet access to radicalization messages, I don't think it is possible to prevent a single person or a husband/wife team, such as in San Bernadino, from causing such a tragedy.

A person was arrested in LA today with lots of weapons heading toward a gay pride parade.  There are not much detail but it appears someone tipped law enforcement and that is why this person is in custody.  So I think it is reasonable for us to expect the government to foil big plots involving multiple people from causing a terrorist act.  But I think we all have the responsibility to keep our eyes open and report anything suspicious if we are going to stand a chance of foiling lone wolf attacks.

Sadly, Mr. Hockey has passed away.  I still consider Gordie Howe to be the greatest hockey player of all time.  Wayne Gretsky may have a lot more goals and points but they played in different eras and with different styles.  Certainly Gretsky would agree that Howe was much tougher than he was and opponents feared Howe a lot more.  Howe played most of his NHL career in which there were only 6 teams.  Talent was much more concentrated back then.  Howe scored over 100 points only once, after the NHL had expanded to 12 teams.  He was, I think, 42 years old then.  Can you imagine how many points he would have scored if the league was diluted to 12 teams when he was in his prime? And who else can play professionally with his sons?  So rest in peace, Mr. Hockey, the Greatest of All Time!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:13 AM

    I didn't think the shooting in Orlando was ISIS related, but apparently it was. I don't get why this guy decided to attack the gay night club. I guess it was an easy target and he was able to get mass casualties. I guess there are no safe places anymore. Will we now see metal detectors everywhere? Would they have made a difference? I wonder if metal detectors would have stopped him from targeting that club.

    I was shocked to hear that Gordie Howe had died. I was really hoping that the stem cell treatments would prolong his life even further. I'm assuming they brought him back from the brink at some point, but I guess these treatments are not a fountain of youth. Though I am not sure if he was continuing treatment. I wonder if he had stopped and that caused things to go downhill. He was at Red Wings game a few months ago and seemed OK, not great, not good. So maybe we will find out more of what happened at some point. The Howe family has been pretty straight forward with his treatments in the past.

    To me, he was the greatest hockey player ever. Though I wonder if that sentiment is shared worldwide. Do people in Russia respect him or consider him the GOAT? I don't know. I am probably biased being from Detroit, but it seems that if you talk to any NHL fans, Howe will be ranked up there as the greatest.

    I got to see clips of Ali's funeral. Pretty impressive way to go out. I learned that he and Billy Crystal were close, where Ali called Crystal "little brother". So it was neat to see Crystal do some impersonations of Ali at the funeral. What's even cooler was to hear from all these people who had brushes with Ali from all over. He really seemed like a man of the people. I don't see many other athletes or celebrities who go out of their way to meet fans and make time for them these days.

    So Draymond Green was suspended for tonight's game. It'll be interesting to see if Golden State will win without him. I think it can be done. I don't know if the suspension is justified, though I will say that Green plays on that edge and he crosses over it at times. So, as a marked man, everything he does is going to be looked at. He's got to have more restraint when it comes to this kind of stuff, but it also makes him play at a high level.

    The suspension probably cost him the series MVP, because had he played well tonight and the Warriors won, he probably would have gotten that award. So if Golden State wins tonight, who is the MVP? Curry? Thompson? Maybe it'll come down to who has the better game tonight.

    By the way, did you watch the previous game? I think they had that deaf guy from DWTS sign the national anthem before the game.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just quit watching the game with Cleveland up by 16. The game obviously would have been different if Green played. But you have to give Irving and James the credit. Nobody could have shut them down the way they played tonight. I don't think they can play like that for 3 straight so GS is still the favorite. But it goes to show the level of play is so great in the NBA. I don't think the foul by Green on James should have been flagrant retroactively. But Green knew that one more flagrant and he is suspended so he had to be careful even though his aggressiveness is part of what makes him great. But now if he has a great game 6 and GS wins then he would be MVP!

    I have not read anything about the stem cell treatment. I would think that if it worked well with other patients then it would be published in journals by now since it is about 2 years since Howe had the treatment. I don't know if the Russians think Howe is the greatest but Gretzky and Orr both said Howe is the greatest.

    No I did not see the national anthem from the last game. So was someone singing or just him signing the lyrics? And stop pretending that you don't know his name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:43 AM

    Is the deaf guy's name Kyle?

    James and Irving played great last night. Irving, I thought, was incredible. I think with Green gone, the Golden State defense was not very good and James had an easier time out there and was able to penetrate and score. It also helped that he could make his jump shots, something he was having problems with.

    As far as the stem cell treatments go, the ones Howe had done were in Mexico, so I don't know if they would be in any medical journals here. From what I remember, his son said these treatments were controversial in the U.S. and that they were a trial being done in Mexico.

    Did you hear about Trump's remarks about how he was right in not allowing foreigners into the country? I don't know how that would have helped in any of the shootings that occurred since the shooters were all born in the U.S.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man