Monday, July 04, 2016

Fireworks today in the NBA.  Shockingly Kevin Durant seeks independence from OKC.  He will sign with the Warriors, creating a Big Four with Green, Curry and Thompson.  This is the formation of USA, the United Stars of America.  The only weakness I see is that they have no center, having to get rid of Bogut to afford Durant.  The Spurs give themselves a chance by getting Pau Gasol to combine with Aldrige and Leonard to try to overpower the Warriors.  I don't think it will work since Warriors often played without Bogut on the floor, going with small ball anyway.  Durant is no center but he did lead OKC in rebounding.  So I see GS returning to the finals against Cleveland.  You never know how it will turn out since superior talent doesn't always win.  But odds are Big Four beats Big Three.

I expected Durant to stayed with OKC since they were so close to beating GS.  If GS wins it all next season, how much credit would Durant get?  If Durant had stayed and beat GS, he would have been the king.  I guess he felt that if you can't beat them, join them.  Also with his injuries in last couple of seasons, he may feel that the window is closing.  If he gets injured, OKC would have been done.  But if he is injured for a couple of months, GS still would still get the number one seed and possibly win.  The other thing is, if GS wins next season, Durant can opt out and join Westbrook again in OKC to try to win one of their own!

Jeremy Lin is in a good place, joining his old mentor in Brooklyn.  He will have the ball in his hand so he can do what he does best.  He has a great partner for pick and roll in Brooke Lopez, so his stats will be good next season.  I predict 18 points and 8 assists per game.  Are you ready for Brooklinsanity?  But there is absolutely nobody else who is decent on the team unless they get somebody from free agency and Claris Lavert is better than advertised.  The Nets also lost Thaddeus Young.  So if they improve 5-6 games, it will be better than expected.  Happy Fourth to everybody!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    I never expected KD to stay in OKC. I don't have a reason, except that he never really indicated that he would, by interviewing with a bunch of teams. I kept hearing that Boston was a destination and that Tom Brady was trying to recruit him. I guess Brady doesn't have that much pull in the basketball world.

    I am surprised that Golden State had enough $ in cap room. Though they were going to lose Barnes and Bogut, so I guess that helped. Have you noticed the crazy free agency signings this year? I don't get how any of these guys are worth the price. Even Barnes' contract is unbelievable.

    It would have been nice to see KD stay in OKC, but I do see why he would want to go to Golden State. At least he didn't have a special on ESPN announcing. I do feel a little bad for the fans and Westbrook, who will probably leave after his contract, unless KD comes back, like you say.

    I didn't realize Lin was going to be a free agent. Apparently, the Hornets wanted him back, but he decided to take the Nets offer. I hope you are right about it being the perfect fit. He seemed to play pretty good in Charlotte, but I don't think he was even starting. Maybe New York is a lucky place for him.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:21 PM

    I am interested to hear what you have to say about the FBI findings on the Clinton email scandal. Nothing really surprising from the findings. I think people already have an opinion on how things should have worked out, so even if the findings were any different, I don't think it would change any minds about Clinton.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand Brady was deflated after learning that KD is not going to Boston. The cap space and thus the salaries all jumped up this year due to lot more tv money. So even mediocre players are getting big contract. I thought Lin got a good deal till I saw what others were getting. But at least the third year is his option so that if he does well for the next two seasons, he will get a bigger contract. That was also why he is a free agent this season: he took less money so that he can opt out after one year.

    I agree with you that the FBI findings won't change anyone's mind about Clinton. At least now there is no chance that she will have to face trial during the campaign. All neutral legal analysts had said that there wouldn't be criminal charges but you never know till the FBI announces. I can understand why people don't trust the Clintons. For all their political skills they seem to run into simple mistakes. Like this email thing and then Bill talks to Loretta Lynch in plain view of everyone! So you say, is it carelessness or is there something going on? Lucky for her, Trump is even more disliked. Most of us will be voting while holding our noses!

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man