Tuesday, April 11, 2017

By now I think everybody has heard of the Asian American doctor who was dragged off an United Airline plane because the plane was overbooked and there were not enough people who voluntarily get off the plane.  There are a lot of outrage over the incident.  There are some people who believe that the passenger was picked because he was Asian.  There are also some people who believe the police and the airline did nothing wrong.  So this is my take.

First of all, I don't know why United let everybody board the plane knowing darn well there were not enough seats!  If there were 105 boarding passes obtained and there are 100 seats, I would randomly select 5 people and don't let them board.  If it turns out some people with boarding passes didn't make it to the gate, then you can start letting those 5 people on, one by one.  If there turn out there is not enough seats, then the negotiation can take place at the gate, not on the plane.  It is a lot easier to not let people on than to drag someone off. 

I am a doctor so if I was being kicked off, I would use that as a leverage just as this passenger did.  This obviously failed but I would then try to get as much compensation as possible in writing.  But failing that I would not put up a fight like that guy did.  It is not worth the bodily harm.

But what if I am a 6 foot 5, 300 lbs offensive lineman for Michigan and not a 69 year old man?  Would the police still try to drag me out of my seat and down the aisle?  What is the next procedure on the airline manual?  Would the police use a taser on me?  A gun?  How about if I am a 20 year woman, would the officers grab me?  In this age of cell phones the police still acted so aggressively so can you imagine in the old days when there were no cameras around?

Finally on third writing the CEO of United makes an apology.  It is too late.  Unlike his employees who had to make a decision at the gate and plane, the CEO had time to think over things before going public with remarks.  This comes right after the young women legging incident.  I would think he would have gotten crisis management advice before blabbering his mouth.

In the long term, I don't think United will lose a lot domestically.  People will forget and the top four airlines dominate the U.S. market so the choices are limited for customers.  But United is one of the airlines trying to break into the high potential China market.  This will be a big hit for United there.  The Chinese airlines will NEVER let Chinese consumers forget this. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:00 PM

    Well, I have finally figured out who you are. It's pretty apparent that you are the guy that got dragged out of the airplane! You are a doctor and you go on vicious rants. Plus, you seem pretty old!

    I agree with you that they should not have let people board the plane knowing that they overbooked. It's just common sense. The only thing I wonder is if they actually didn't know. Maybe the United workers got to the gate late.

    I would be interested to see if people were really chosen by some computer. That's an easy excuse to make if you're United. It's just too coincidental that they picked a guy that looked like he wouldn't give up a fight. I'd also like to see who the other people were and if they fit a certain description.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think LBOAYM is wrong about me, I think I have more in common with an offensive lineman from Michigan than the guy who got dragged out of the United plane! And if I was that guy, my rant here would be way more vicious. I wonder if Elaine Chao, the transportation secretary is going to get involved in this.

    I see that Trump goes 180 again when he says that NATO is no longer obsolete. I wonder what did NATO do in the past 3 months to make itself important again! This is after Trump changed his mind on Syria, change his view on Russia and no longer calls China a currency manipulator. I have never seen someone flip flop so much. And of course he says now Paul Manafort, Steve Bannon and Carter Page have little connections with him. Pretty soon when ask about Spicer, he is going to say "you mean the guy who looks Melissa McCarthy?"

    I hear that Trump say that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:55 AM

    Your secret is safe with me, Dr. Dao!

    That would be great if Chao would say something, but I highly doubt she will. In fact, we haven't heard much from her. I don't know what her agenda is. Maybe she's waiting to hear what it is from her husband first!

    We just can't trust anything Trump says. We will have to judge him on his actions. I am also suspicious of these new Cold War allegations. It could be a way to distance the president from Russia in the public. Nothing surprises me anymore.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man