Sunday, October 22, 2017

Now that we see General Kelley is learning from his boss, I think rather than control Trump's out bursts Kelly is going to have outbursts of his own.  The situation of four soldiers killed in Niger is an embarrassment to the country.  There is some fault that lies with the Congresswoman involved but Trump is, as usual, acting like a child.  Now his chief of staff is making things up like his boss. 

But what I am wondering is:  why are we in Niger in the first place.  Trump had nothing to say when the killing happened probably because he didn't know where Niger is and certainly didn't know why we are there.  Some pundits say that we are there to advice the government to prevent terrorists groups from gaining a spot from which to flourish.  I don't buy that.  Having watched the Vietnam war documentary last month, I am more convinced than ever that we should only send troops for good reason.  There must be a define goal and end point and there must be an ally on the ground that is reliable.  Neither of these things are in place in Niger and other places in Africa where we have "advisors".  By having our soldiers there it just helps terrorists recruit people.  This is particularly true since we use drone strikes where we often accidentally kill civilians.  So we should learn our lessons and be way more careful about getting involved in places where we have no good allies and no obvious end points.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:04 PM

    Well, we may never find out why we had soldiers in Niger. From what I understand, these were special forces, correct? So it seems to me that some kind of operation was underway or being planned. I don't like the politicizing of these losses, but it happens on both sides. It wouldn't surprise me that the president mis-spoke or said something that came out poorly. It's been his problem since he has no filter.

    I am sure that Obama sent these types of troops on covert missions and my sense is that this president wants that signature military victory in his belt. So I wouldn't be surprised that he had troops there planning something. In a way, I agree with you, but we have our hand in all these things across the globe for various reasons. So if we continue to be all over the world, we must continue to run operations like this.

    I read this morning that the first lady was in Michigan today. She was supposed to visit a middle school in West Bloomfield that I drive by almost every day. My hope is that traffic isn't too bad while I'm driving through the area!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that the operation in Niger probably started by Obama. So I don't blame Trump for something that goes wrong here. But if Trump think there is signature military victory here, he is sadly mistaken. Unless there is reason that I am not aware of, I believe there are way more down sides than up sides in these operations.

    I see McCain is getting back to Trump for his comments about McCain not being a hero since he was captured. Now McCain says rich people back in the Vietnam days got away from the draft by getting a doctor to say they got bone spur on the foot! Yeah, tough guys with bone spur! I don't think you can be captured if you don't serve!

    Hope you were not blocked by the traffic! Was there a class on learning to be a gold digger at the middle school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Well, Betsy DeVos WAS there...

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man