Sunday, October 01, 2017

Well, this is going to be awkward!   Trump is going to Puerto Rico on Tuesday.  This after the mayor of San Juan and others complained about the slow federal response to the storm destruction and Trump basically saying the Puerto Ricans are too lazy to fix their own problems.  When Trump fought with the NBA players, he just uninvited the Warriors so he doesn't have to face them.  He is not going to show up at an NFL game soon and the Super Bowl champs next year can forget about an invitation to the White House.  But Trump needs the photo op and at least pretends he cares, so he is going to show up in Puerto Rico.  Everybody will probably be polite but it would not be Obama meeting Chris Christie in New Jersey for sure.

I watched most of the PBS show by Ken Burns on the Vietnam war.  I thought it was very good and a very balance look at the history of this tragic war and the impact on all sides.  I hear some South Vietnamese and American veterans say that the documentary is biased and is a propaganda for the communists.  I don't agree with this.  I think there is criticism of leaders of all sides who could have prevented this tragedy.  There is  sympathy for the soldiers of all sides who had no choice or just believe that they were doing the right things.  There is also sympathy for the civilians on both sides of Vietnam and the families of American soldiers back home.  So I thought it was well made and balanced.  If anyone had seen it, I would like to hear what he or she thinks.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 AM

    It'll be interesting to see if Trump makes out a check from his own pocket for PR. I know he had planned on doing so for Houston, but I don't recall if he did for Florida. You might recall that I had wondered about the response by the government regarding PR a week or so ago. To me, the situation is worse because the people there have no where to go. At least the logistics of helping are easier on the mainland. But it seems to me that there should have been some kind of plan to help out PR so that a quick response would happen. To me, this is where the government failed. I'll give the POTUS the benefit of the doubt that this is racially motivated. Though I think a lot of Americans do not consider Puerto Ricans Americans.

    It's good to see that help is on the way, but what we're also seeing is that there is a lot of work left to do. People are living in poor conditions. Heck, the same is still going on in Houston.

    I started recording the Vietnam documentary but didn't realize that there was more than 5 episodes, so my DVR ended up recording some of the later versions and deleting the earlier shows. So now I have to get them all recorded again. I will report back to this blog when I watch all of them. Hopefully I'll be able to binge watch them within the next few weeks.

    I'm sure you'll have some kind of response on the Las Vegas shootings. It'll be interesting to see if they'll call this a domestic terrorism case or just a lone gunman. We already know your stance on guns! In this case, it's doubtful that any law-abiding gun carrying citizens would be able to shoot this guy since he was 30+ floors up. Can you imagine the chaos if this were the case? People just randomly shooting at a building to get the guy?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can only take Trump's word that he donates money since we can't verify from his tax returns! I think with 3 storms back to back to back, I can understand the relief efforts are difficult. But it is absurd that he spent more time on the NFL than on PR. Also to attack the mayor of San Juan does not make him look presidential. Even some conservatives are against him on this.

    You are right that my view on guns are well known. Trump has not call this an act of terrorism. I guess when a white guy does it, it is not terrorism to him. He has said in the past that mass shootings are not gun problems but problems with mental health. Consider that we have 5% of the world population but 30% of mass shootings, I guess we are more psychotic than other people. Or maybe we just have more mental problem among people who don't see the obvious connections. Whether you consider this is a terrorist act, I think this will make terrorist attacks easier. Shooting from above cause just as much if not more carnage than a bomb. And the attacker doesn't have to wear a suicide vest. In fact I think this guy could have got away if he quit shooting after say half hour since it is very difficult for the cops to locate even where the shots came from. He could have escaped in the crowd. This is likely going to give terrorists ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 AM

    Hey, thanks for giving all the terrorists that read your blog ideas! The fact is, the guy that allegedly shot all those people was not Muslim or a foreigner. He supposedly passed all the requirements in getting guns too. Add the fact that he was pretty rich, it didn't cause any alarms. No one detected that he had any mental problems. It'll be interesting to see if they ever find out why he went on a rampage. This sounds like a story from 24 or a movie.

    Something tells me that you will not be returning to Vegas any time soon!

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man