Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yes, the young black man has made history. He will inspire a generation of young people of color to become whatever they want to be. Yes, I am talking about Lewis Hamilton, the first black world F-1 driving champion. Ok, Barak Obama didn't do too bad either. It is great victory for him and the Democrats. But I think it is also a victory for America. It shows the world that this is still the land of opportunity, that the son of an African and a white American can grow up to be president. I think this will make America look greater than ever in the eyes of the world.

Now comes the hard part. He will now has to govern. His victory speech was rather subdued. This is partly due to his personality. While he is capable of arousing the crowd, he does not let the highs get too high or the lows get too low. I think this temperament is very good for a president. But I think he also understands the enormity of his challenges. He made a lot of promises during the campaign, as any candidate would. He knows that he can't possibly keep all or even most of them. I won't hold him to all the promises. I know that is impossible for any human being.

I do hope that he will reach across the aisle and work with the Republicans as he promised. He cannot let people like Nancy Pelosi and Barney Frank run the government. He will have to shed the liberal label and become a president for all Americans. I have been a big fan of his since the beginning of the primaries. I think he has the potential to be a great president. But I will judge him by his actions. If he uses his intellect and his ability to bring people together, I will continue to be a fan. If he becomes a pawn for the left, I will be a critic.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:03 AM

    I agree with your blog. I didn't really grasp the enormity of this election until election night when I saw all those people celebrating. I knew it was huge but it didn't hit home until last night. Seems like the world was celebrating as well. I have a lot of hope with Obama. But I am also a realist and know it's going to be a tough road. The democrats won the night and have control. It is up to them to get things going in the right direction and hopefully they can do it. If not, they'll find themselves gone like the republicans who lost their jobs.

    I think the first 100 days will be important and will set a tone. I wonder what Obama's cabinet will look like. Any thoughts?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. When clinton took office in 1992 he went with what the liberal congressional leadership want him to do,including healthcare. This led to the Republican rebellion led by Newt Gringrich and the disaster for the Democrats in 1994. Ultimately Clinton did better as a centrist. This is what Obama has to do. He is lucky in that the economic cycle should rebound within two years. (It can't get much worse!) So this will make him look good. He needs to sound reassuring like FDR. If he gets lucky and the economy rebounds faster than expected then he will have more capital to push through energy and healthcare issues.

    There are too many possibilities for the cabinet. I would like to see Powell come back. But I don't think he wants to be sec. of state and all the other positions will be lower. I will just comment when the names come out if I either like or don't like. He has already picked Rahm Emanuel to be chief of staff. I think that is a good pick. He would be able to buffer Obama from the liberals in Congress. Being a Jew may also help to calm the fear of Jewish leader who are afraid of Obama's committment to Israel. I certainly think that Obama will try to work on the Mideast peace plan much more aggressively than Bush (which maybe not be saying much). So will see who else he picks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:15 AM

    I'm anxious to read the Newsweek articles about the campaigns. A lot of interesting stuff like McCain originally wanting to pick Lieberman but his handlers wouldn't allow it. I don't know if picking Lieberman would have helped him anyway. Lieberman couldn't help Gore and has alienated himself from a lot of democrats.

    I think the Clinton administration was pretty arrogant in the beginning and with Hilary wanting to push health care reform, they thought it could be done. The republicans had control at the time, so there was almost no way it would happen. It was a big blow to his administration at the time, because we heard so much about a national health care plan during the campaign.

    As much as I like Powell, I just can't see him in the cabinet. He'd be a great ambassador but I doubt he's up to traveling.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man