Monday, June 29, 2009

What a surprise! The Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of the white firefighters in the New Haven case. I am such a prognosticator! I could have told you who is on what side before they heard the case. David Souter, as expected, voted the same way as Sotomayor had. So nothing will change when Sotomayore is confirmed.

I have to say that despite the fact that everyone is biased I think Chief Justice Roberts is trying to get some consensus so that it is not always 5-4. Last week there were actually 2 cases where the vote was 8-1. By narrowing the opinions he was able to get almost all of the justices to agree. I don't usually agree with Robert's rulings but I think he is similar to Obama in that he tries to get beyond partianship. Neither will succeed and both have biases themselves, but they both are trying.

One more item on the justice system. Madoff was sentenced today. Judge Denny Chin sentenced him to 150 years as the prosecutors requested. I think we need some empathy here. One hundred fifty seems like too large of a number. The defense had requested 12 years. I have much more empathy than Chin. I would take the average of the 2 sides and thus give him only 81 years. With such empathy, can I be nominated by Obama for a judge position?

1 comment:

  1. Response from Homo and Anonymouse in 3...2...1...

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man