Sunday, July 22, 2018

My wife knew a Buddhist monk from Japan who was running a meditation retreat in a near by city.  She wanted me to meet him so we took him out to lunch.  While at lunch I had an interesting exchange with the monk.  This is the short version of the exchange.

Me:  you seem so serene, do you ever get angry?

Monk:  Yes, I do

Me:  What makes you angry?

Monk:  Drum.

Me: Drum?

Monk:  Yes, drum.

Me:  Too loud?

Monk:  Yes, too loud.

Me:  So you hate drum?

Monk:  No, I don't hate anyone.  Drum is a gift.

Me:  A gift?  Somebody gave you a drum and you are angry?

Monk:  I don't understand.  How does one give you drum?

Me:  Are we talking about the instrument drum?

Monk:  No, president.

Me:  Oh, I got it. You mean Trump?

Monk:   Yes, drum.

Me: How is Trump a gift. 

Monk:  Drum is a gift to me and all parents and teachers so that we can tell our students or kids how not to act  and what not to say!

Me:  I can conclude that I can never be a monk and that I can be a gift to all the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man