Sunday, August 05, 2018

It is one thing to rile up the base to support you, it is another thing causing danger to a whole group of people.  This is what happens when Trump says that the press is the enemy of the people.  This is obviously not true.  For without a free press, there is no democracy.  It is usually dictators who want to control what the press say.  Trump's words have caused many of supporters to act angry toward journalists.  Jim Acosta of CNN was verbally abused by Trump supporters the other day.  Yet the White House refused to walk back the enemy of the people narrative.  Even Ivanka Trump said that the press is not the enemy of the people.  I have a son who had worked as a journalist till recently.  I would hate to have him attacked.  I think it is a matter of time before a journalist will be physically attacked.  Even if not, intimidation of the press is not a sign of democracy.

It seems that Trump attacks CNN more than the far more liberal MSNBC.  I think that is because only liberals watch MSNBC and Trump cannot reach those people anyway.  But CNN, while on the liberal side, is moderate and a lot of independents watch it.  It is those people that Trump want to steer away.  I don't think he will be successful.  I don't think that anyone who watches CNN thinks that Don Lemon is the dumbest person on television.  Trump just comes across as a racist when he says things like that.

Michael Jordan, who is usually completely silent on politics, comes out in support of LeBron.  But what is more amazing is that Melania Trump appears to support LeBron.  At least until, the White House makes her take it back a little.  Hey LeBron, invite Melania to the school ASAP.  If she declines, it would make her statement insincere or that the White House is forcing her to decline.  If she accepts, that would be a black eye to Trump!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Well, I think the hope is that if he attacks the mainstream media, that it will crumble under the backlash. Funny thing is that the mainstream media is probably the cause for him being as famous as he is. He's used it most of his adult life to grab headlines and to spark interest in his business and personal life. So he's basically using it again. What would happen if none of the media outlets covered his rallies? I don't know if covering these things helps or hurts his base. I personally think that the media covers him just to get soundbites and to see what he says.

    Now, I do believe that the media today is different than it was 20 years ago. People are not patient enough to read the whole story and so we get these headlines that are sensational and are molded a certain way. Does that mean that the media is biased? I don't know. I don't think all of it's trying to be biased. I think that the job is to create buzz and not necessarily to report all the facts. I also think we mistake actual journalism with news personalities.

    Now, I'm not sure how anyone who watches Fox or MSNBC alone can say that they are receiving honest coverage. Though I will say that if you are already biased to one side, you will believe one network over the other. And there's no talking these people off their leanings.

    I don't know who Don Lemon is and even though I am not a LeBron fan, I appreciate him donating money to open a school back in Ohio. I don't know how smart he is nor care. I don't even know smart POTUS is. Though I kind of care about that since he's making decisions that are related to my life.

    I'm not sure how ripping LeBron is a good thing since he probably should know that Jordan would side with James. Maybe if he said that he liked Rodman more, it would have helped.

    As far as Melania goes, I'm surprised that the White House hasn't censored her yet. The type of statements that she is making is not a good look for a unified White House. Of course, neither is finding out about extra marital affairs isn't either.

    The Michigan primaries are this week. It'll be an interesting fall but it looks like the two poll leaders are Gretchen Whitmer (D) and Bill Schuete (R). I'm not a fan of either person. This has to be the weakest group of candidates I've seen. The weird thing is Schuete, who is the AG, did not support Trump in 2016, but now does. He gets the support of POTUS which should help him with the base. I have a friend who works in the AG office and likes him.

    Whitmer has been the leading candidate on the other side for a while. Apparently she has ties to Blue Cross but has been campaigning against health care companies. The fear is that she would bring Michigan back to to Granholm times, maybe because she is a woman and Democrat. I have a friend who is friends with her.

    We will see if these two will come out of the primaries victorious. This year might be a vote of less of two evils. All I know is that I'm already sick of the political ads.

    How are the elections in California looking?

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like LBOAYM has a lot of time. His comment is longer than my blog! Don Lemon is a CNN anchor who is black and gay. So it is obvious why Trump calls him the dumbest person on tv. Even if you don't agree with Lemon, it is obvious he is intelligent and well spoken. I think any independent thinker woulld know where Trump is coming from with this awful comment.

    It is always the less of two evils now a day!

    California had its primary couple of months ago. Newsome won and he will slaughter the GOP guy. Talking about the less of two evils! There are red districts in California and the democrats are trying to flip a few of them. But I think they can maybe flip two. If they flip more then three or four here then they may win the House.

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man