Tuesday, December 04, 2018

I didn't always agree with George H. W. Bush when he was president.   But I think he was fair minded and he governed with compassion.  I think he was humble and did not brag about himself, like some president I know!  The fact that Clinton and Obama became friends with him and sought his counsel says a lot about him. 

Two decisions that cost Bush politically impressed me about him.  One was ending his membership in the NRA.  He was an avid gun supporter until he realized that the NRA had gone too far.  The other was when he raised taxes after his "read my lips, no new tax" declaration.  He knew that it was going to cost him dearly in the election for raising taxes.  But he did it anyway because he thought it was the right thing to do.  How many politicians today would do that today? 

Rest in peace, Mr. President.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I did vote for 41 in 88. I have mixed feelings about Desert Storm, but sure am glad that it was a quick and dominating war. I think that the kinder, gentler tone is something that we need now, but doesn't resonate with today's society. It barely resonated back then. I have a ton of respect for the man. Loved that he went sky diving for his birthday on multiple occasions and that he had become friends with those that followed. It was a life well lived. To lose McCain and Bush Sr. is a blow to the old guard Republicans. I'm hoping at some point that those types of Republicans can lead the party in the future.

    -LBOAYM

    ReplyDelete

Use the following html code to make a clickable link in your comment (instructions in the sidebar). You can test the link by previewing your comment.

<a href="http://angryyellowman.blogspot.com">Angry Yellow Man</a>

The above example will display as Angry Yellow Man